Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how deep will gophers go?

Posted by bluemill (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 24, 04 at 7:49

making small orchard and vineyard area. have lots of gophers. do not want to kill. already use hardware cloth under raised beds. want to put perimeter around new areas. know how deep i should bury hardware perimeter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how deep will gophers go?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 24, 04 at 20:46

30 inches deep wasn't enough to keep them out of a garden I put in here in California, but I would think that it really depends on the nature of your soils and underlying rock/hardpan conditions. This was a clay loam soil with no underlying impediment to the gophers going as deep as they wanted...

o

• Posted by Toyon z9 N. CA. (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 26, 04 at 8:05

I quit digging at 5 feet once. It looked as if the hole was at least several feet deeper.

o

thank you for letting me know your experience. i was hoping that 4' hardware cloth would do it. making rootball baskets and allowing the gophers to eat what roots they can get at is not what i wanted for the best trees possible. i donbt like to kill either. maybe trap and relocate will do the job.

o

A nesting pair of barn owls are supposed to eat up to 1200 rodents in a single season. Try putting up a nesting box - owl size. I make aviary wire baskets for everything I plant and for raised beds I line the bottom of the bed with the wire. The gophers probably eat some of the roots that go beyond the wire but at least they don't kill the whole plant and the wire baskets give the plants a chance to get established.

Gophers can dig at least six feet down and that is usually where their nest is.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here