Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing poplar roots from whole backyard

Posted by mcpeg 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 07 at 8:52

Seeking advice from a professional landscaper or construction firm.

After removing 2 large poplar trees, there still remains very large, interwoven, roots throughout my backyard - some a good 2" or more in diameter, about 1 ft underground.

What is the best way to get rid of these? A tree stumper service is not practical due to cost. Who should I contact to bring in small equipment to remove the roots - rip them out and remove all root debris from my property?

I don't know where to start - what service should I be seeking? Construction? Landscapers? Other?

I would appreciate a response from someone in this business.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing poplar roots from whole backyard

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 31, 07 at 21:43

The usual thing would be to grind or dig out the stumps and leave the roots to decompose where they are. Don't see how doing more than grinding the stumps out would cost less than just grinding the stumps out. How many stump grinding services did you talk to? Maybe you called one or two expensive ones and you can get it done more cheaply by several others. Often with all types of contracting those not thinking they need a particular job at the moment or that it might be a pain at any time will give a high estimate, figuring if they win the job they don't really need or want the extra compensation will be just that.

Or maybe you talked to outfits that only have truck-mounted rigs that always require a certain minimum fee. Here the work (stump grinding) may be done by a tree service, them perhaps going and renting a hand-operated stump grinder as needed if they aren't keeping one on hand. For less than enormous stumps such a machine may not be much bigger than a rotary tiller.

If you have a big project whoever you call is going to want to be paid enough to do the whole thing. To get a feel for what is fair market value talk to multiple services/contractors. Watch out for buried utilities if you start digging up roots, anyone doing this for you should have liability insurance adequate to pay for any surprises.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here