Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cady_gw

Wanna be editor of Horticulture magazine?

Cady
19 years ago

I saw in the Boston Globe that Horticulture is looking for an editor. They want someone who is well versed in plants and gardening, in addition - of course - to being experienced in editing, writing and coordinating the production of a publication.

They're based in Boston but you probably get to travel and meet swell landscape designers and gardeners from everywhere.

Comments (19)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

No .. I just want to retire so I can stay home and do what I want to do in my garden and get paid for it ! LOL

Good Day ....

• John_D
    19 years ago

Boston? Who wants live in Boston?

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

John:

Pthpt! lol
    Hey, we have... um... tea. Lots of tea. And beans. And scrod.

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

Lol! Even if I did know that much about plants and landscaping, I wouldn't be able to handle all the work! I'm the co-editor (there are two of us, fear our wrath come due dates!) for my school's music department newsletter, and it's more than enough work for me on top of regular schoolwork!

-Audric

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

But Audric, if it were your fulltime job, you wouldn't have to juggle school work with that! And, you'd get paid. And chicks would dig you! ;)

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

Yeah, I'd do it. Especially if the benefits included kickbacks in plants and supplies for good ad placement, and Green Monster seats for a few Sox games a year.

Are there any good fixer-uppers for sale in Billerica?

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Fixer-uppers? Sure. But in Billerica they start at $325K. ;)
    Heck, you could do a spread on Fenway Park's turf (someone already did for a local mag) and insist that you need to view it during a game... from front row seats.

• laag
    19 years ago

I think there are some free codos in Billerica still available as well. Depending on the judge, some leases are pretty long. Housing in the Bay State is very expensive.

There is a very big selling book by the greenskeeper at Fenway about his custom mowing designs that you may have seen on TV.

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

Funny thing, I was reading my city's newspaper (more like a city-subsection because of the semi-recent almagamation of various cities into the city of Ottawa) and they're looking for a person to coordinate the marketing and advertising of a new gardening magazine. Not really adding to this topic, but I found it interesting how the two things occured at the same time : )

-Audric

• NOTHO__NANTUCKET
    19 years ago

Never mind Billerica, life is better in Low-rents,Mass. by far and if you are of the misbehaving type free rent at the Billerica House of ,N.N.

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bubba, you da man!
    You should get a cushy editor job and leave the grunt work to the lackeys.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Cady,
    Are you interested ?
    I bet you'd be great in this position.

Wonder where Tom ( the current Editor ) is going to ?
    When he was out here earlier on this year visiting with the Hortisexuals on our L.A. Trip he seemed to reallllllly be enjoying the warm California weather.
    Perhaps he is going to shed his Bostonian winter snow shovel for a Californian winter time spading fork ?

Bummer, I was just back into Horticulture mag . again after a long hiatus.

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Mich. In fact, I am very interested, and really do want to apply, but I don't have direct magazine experience (albeit lots of writing, editing, newsletter production, dealing with vendors, experience with papers, inks and bindings; feature development, overseeing photographers... all that. Just no actual magazine experience).

I also wondered why the current editor is leaving and where he is going. Horticulture really is back on its feet, and I'm glad I renewed my subscription. It's on track now as a gardener-focused publication with lots of really useful, factual information and first rate photography. The design is good, too, and they have a healthy advertising base with good products.

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I found out where Horticulture editor Tom Fischer is now. Timber Press in OR. You were right that the allure of the Left Coast coaxed him away from Boston, Mich.

He has an impressive curriculum vitae.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Fischer

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Cady,
    Timber Press has a great reputation and has put out some wonderful books.
    I expect even more fabulous works of art to come from Timber Press under Tom's leadership.

There are so many incredibly talented artisans in the Pacific Northwest. Tom is in good company and I bet his new garden will be a knock out once he has a chance to dig in.

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The Timber Press catalogue makes me drool. So many intriguing "must have" books, so little time (and moolah). It will be fun to see how Timber is influenced by Tom's experienced hand.

I envy him his gardening options in the PNW, but maybe his long years of suffering in New England will have added some good old Yankee Ingenuity to his repertoire of skills and knowledge. ;)

• superphosphate
    19 years ago

I hear that "People, Places, and Plants" bit the dust.

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It's hard to make a magazine keep going in a limited and specialized market. PPP focused on gardeners in the Northeast/MidAtlantic, which may have made its customer base too narrow. When you consider the other quality magazines out there (Horticulture, Fine Gardening, GardenGate), the competition is fierce. Especially since those publications provide information relevant to the New England/NY climate zone (Horticulture even has regional sections with advice and topics targeted to the region).

My understanding is that the PPP television program is still up and ongoing. The Boston area can always use a good gardening show, so I'm glad to see that one succeed.

• watergal
    19 years ago

My beef with Horticulture is that they don't have a MidAtlantic regional section. Maryland is too warm to be Northeast and too cold to be Upper South. Other than that, I love the magazine. Too bad about PPP - I kinda liked it, but I never got around to subscribing to it.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?