Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrubs with 'fast' regrowth for goat browse

Posted by skagit_goat_man_ WA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 11:32

We've been fortunate to have very good pasture land at our current farm but we will be moving this summer. The new land is more suitable for growing and managing browse than grass. We are planning to grow browse rows approximatley 100' long with 10' between the rows. We'd like to be able to run the goats through these rows twice a season. The row grazing will be rotational and the animals will be limited to small sections at one time. My question is what type of shrubs have rank foliage and fast regrowth. We're planning on some rosa rogusa, empress tree, blackberry but what else would you recommend. This is a trial project and the plants that don't perform well will just be replaced with a new trial. We're in a zone 9 with high summer temperatures around 70 F.Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrubs with 'fast' regrowth for goat browse

Check out ECHO for suggestions. They do agricultural training for people doing development/missionary work and have a lot of information on tropical/subtropical crops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization

o

Anne, the areas they serve a way to tropical for here. But it is a great web site demonstrating that there are people out there doing good work for others. Thanks, Tom

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 21, 06 at 16:46

You will probably also want to cross reference plant choices with nutritional value for the goats. A couple of very fast growing things that I can think of right off the bat would include almost any willow species, Blackberry, Cornus stolonifera, to name a few.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 21, 06 at 22:38

Maybe willows, like Salix purpurea.

o

I was searching for fast regrowth and found this thread. What has been your experience?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here