Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cady_gw

Flowers with 'Bling' -- a New Trend?

Cady
18 years ago

So, how many of the floriculturists here are thinking about selling glow-in-the-dark flowers? None? Hm. Maybe some of you should re-think it. Europe is already testing the market with phosporescent blooms that they claim have "BLING." Check this out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Blooms with Bling Bling

Comments (11)

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

This provides me with all the horticultural "bling" I need.

• bonsai_audge
    18 years ago

I don't know if they'd be providing a "bling-bling" type feeling more so than a weird type of cheap-sceance type feeling.

-Audric

• The_Mohave__Kid
    18 years ago

That mifgt be great along highways .. no need for street lamps !!!!

Good Day ...

• Cady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heh. Eric, for a buck forty-nine a packet, Lunaria is about the cheapest source of bling.

I get the sense that glow-in-the-dark flowers will not be anything more than a fad, if that. Chocolate roses, now that's another story.

• njtea
    18 years ago

Hope I don't offend anybody - but I saw the most gosh-awful poinsettias in the grocery store yesterday morning - blue and white, some covered with silver glitter.

• nandina
    18 years ago

Cady,
    The newspaper a few days ago carried an article on this subject. Paper went into the compost before I could cut out the article. But, the jist of it is that jellyfish genes have been introduced into potatoes in such a manner that the potato plants glow in the dark when they have received too much water. Potatoes are happier grown on the dry side. Thus a grower will be able to adjust his watering schedule by checking his plants nightly.

• Cady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did see something about a jellyfish gene transplant into plants and even small animals (mice!) to make them glow when under ultraviolet lights.

The flowers in the article I posted were just sprayed with phosphorescent substance but it would be a lot creepier to have the fluorescence be genetic and internal.

• karen3023
    18 years ago

I had to buy one of those poinsettias they were so funny. Word is you water them with blue food coloring to keep them blue! I was figuring they were going for the Jewish market, since they had silver wraps. A Hanaukkah poinsettia :)

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I saw a poinsettia with four colors of blooms- yellow, blue, pink and purple! I had to laugh. The salesperson said it was spray paint.

• Garrickza
    18 years ago

Yellow, pink and purple Poinsettias are freely available over here , (not sprayed or dyed ). I have not seen any blue ones though , dont think they exist.

• whitejade
    18 years ago

I read a fictional novel once where botanists were in the Amazon to try and find an orchid that had phosphoresent capability and used it like speech...I thought that was a great premise especially since orchids are one of the most complex / advanced of flowering plants . Hey, we don't know, there *could* be such a plant in the rainforest somewhere right?

I'm not a big fan of messing with poinsettias the ways I've seen, so I'm with you all on that...it's just looks (and feels) "off" to me. However, I've been standing next to those types of plants when I have heard other buyers make remarks about how great those plants looked!
    To each their own eh?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz