Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening and Horticulture Classes at UCLA Ext.

Posted by MJinLA California (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 11 at 18:11

I'm a college graduate who works full time, and am interested in making a career change into Horticulture.

I'd love to work in a nursery or botanical garden, propagating and caring for plants. I'm not a people person, so the retail aspect of working at a nursery doesn't appeal to me, but the opportunity to work with the plants does.

I'm thinking of taking classes in Gardening and Horticulture at UCLA Extension, but it's quite expensive, so before I make a decision to take any classes there, I'd like to know if anyone here has taken these classes at UCLA, and if you feel that it was worth the money and time you put into it. Also, does anyone in the LA area know of another path to take, or maybe another institution to go to, that can help me achieve my goals, and in a more cost-efficient way?

I'd appreciate any feedback and advice.

Thanks,
M.J.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening and Horticulture Classes at UCLA Ext.

I took a plant ID class taught by Jamie Inashima and it seemed pretty good but I had to go out of town for an extended period of time and couldn't complete it. Still I attended at least 5 or so classes and she seemed professional and knowledgable. It seemed on par with the plant ID classes I took at the New York Botanical Garden (which were very good).

o
RE: Gardening and Horticulture Classes at UCLA Ext.

As a rule, extension courses do not prepare you for a professional position in the industry. Is your degree at all related to floriculture?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here