Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Yucca (Hesperaloe) gemination

Posted by mojavehills ca, 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 24, 09 at 19:12

I'm a snall commercial grower looking to germinate about 20,000 red yucca, (hesperaloe parvifolia) seed. Past trials have yeilded very low percentages. Tried scarifying, soaking, top sowing, covered sowing, not much difference.

I assume these plants throw such a quantity of seed because of low germination in natural habitat. Anyone have experience/tips to share to improve germination?

Will swap you seed for your info.

Besr, Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Yucca (Hesperaloe) gemination

I had better than 50% germination when I tried these in 2006. I used a standard seed starting mix (consisting mostly of fine peat/perlite) and buried the seed lightly. The seed were exposed to a wide day/night temperature fluctuation as they were just outdoors in the open - perhaps that is important. It was mid-summer so day/night temps would have ranged from 76/50 on average with the pots probably heating up more than that. Sowing the seed too close together, or in not enough light, seems likely to lead to problems.

Another thing you could experiment would be natural outdoor cold stratification which seems essential to successfully germinate Nolina parryi (for me anyways).

o
RE: Red Yucca (Hesperaloe) gemination

I had best luck soaking seed in water for 24 hours then store at 40F for 4 weeks.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here