Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilafter

i want to turn my whole roof into a garden

lilafter
17 years ago

hi!

i own and live in a 4 unit building on a very small lot with a nearly flat roof in urban los angeles. its a 1912 building, wood and stucco.

turning the roof into rooftop garden seems like a perfect solution for my desire to have additional space. i just need to figure out how to do this.

i''d like to create a green roof, both extensive and intensive. extensive to help with heating/cooling and b/c it looks so cool- this space will not be walked on except for maintenence. and intensive to create a usable space for gardening and entertaining.

my big big pie in the sky dream is to throw a small prefab up there too for a retreat/guest space but no in the budjet right now.

i know i'll need a structural engineer to check out the current supports for the roof and am expecting it will need some retrofit at least in the areas i'd like to use for entertaining.

has any landscaper completed a project like this in los angeles? or can point me to persons who have or offer advice?

currently, i do not have rooftop access, plan to extend the wood stairs from second story deck or add spiral staircase. the square feet is roughly 1600.

thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor