Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting kentia palm cuttings?

Posted by the_bent_botanist none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 0:42

hello all :)

I stepped outside today to find my dog had ripped a kentia palm out of its pot and had left branches spread all across the backyard. I figured I would attempt to save a few of the less damaged branches and try cloning them but I recall reading somewhere that kentia palm is only propagated via seed..

so my question is it even possible to have a kentia palm cutting root? and if so any advice on ideal conditions for doing so?

thankyou :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting kentia palm cuttings?

Palms do not reproduce from leaf cuttings (fronds).

o

it thought the question was.. along the lines of segmenting the broken trunk ...???? .. and propagating that????

kinda confusing.. because i dont think of palms as branched.. as OP calls them ... so perhaps a pic would help ... clarification of terminology sure would ...

welcome to GW, bent ....

ken

o

my bad for not being clear. I'm not familiar with the palm family or the exact terminology but yes branches was defiantly the wrong way to describe them.

basically what I have is a lot of snapped stems(?) or stalks(?) with the fronds still attached and undamaged.

will it be possible to make these root in anyway? or is a snapped palm a soon to be dead palm?

thankyou for the replies :)

o

so a picture is out???

are you saying.. or trying to say.. there are multiple trunks in one pot.. and some are broken off...

and you want to know if those stems/trunks will root???

i know for sure.. in my head i pictured one solitary palm trunk.. when i tread your facts ...

i think you are confusing us.. as your name seems to imply [???] that you are a botanist.. but your use of the words. doesnt seem equivalent .. wait.. this is a pop quiz, right????.. lol

ken

o

No, those stems (petioles, rachis) will not root, ever. I understand what you're saying. The only way to reproduce this plant is by planting seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here