Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpc42

how to save mature wisteria plant on power line?

cpc42
16 years ago

I bought an older house 3 years ago and one of the selling points was the vegetation, namely this very large wisteria plant that runs up a utility pole. it must be decades old as the trunk is huge. a tree group working for the power company came by yesterday and said they needed to cut it down. i about died. any suggestions? they said an estimater could come out and give me a bid on putting up a new pole, but it could cost thousands. as this is what i see out my bedroom window each day (and smell in the spring) and it is a huge screen of privacy with my neighbor's property, i'm wondering what my options are, if i have any rights, can i take cuttings (it's winter now), what would it take to plant another? i'm just desperate to lose this...

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

boy i feel for you ...

but.. the plant is growing in an easement ... and you PROBABLY have no claim on it ...

most likely .. they can come in .. and clear the pole without your approval ...

so IF THEY OFFER compensation ... be nice.. and jump at it ...

i do not grow wisteria ... but WONDER.. if it can be harshly pruned to a low level ...and then regenerate itself .. while you train it onto your house... or a trellis on your house .... without disturbing the roots.. you might be stunned by how fast it can grow back ...

i also wonder why you posted this in the propagation forum .... it is a woody perennial or a vine ... and perhaps if you posted in the perennial forum.. or checked for a wisteria or vine forum .. you might not get more responses ...

also try the search function at the top of the page ... perhaps that will help ...

the one and only thing i know for sure with wisteria.. NEVER feed them .... or you will get more green at the expense of the flowers ... but i wouldn't bet a buck on that either ....

with every problem .. there is opportunity ... try to look toward the bright side ... i know.. ITS REALLY HARD ....

good luck

ken

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

In some areas there are tree moving companies. Should you be in such an area and should you be able to afford it I rather suspect that it could be harshly trimmed and moved as a tree. If so it's almost sure to come back faster than taking cuttings. Buying a large specimen from a nursery will be two to five years faster than cuttings.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

i wonder how a tree moving company would deal with the pole ... i doubt a tree spade will get in there ...

you could probably get a lot of replacements for the money spent on trying to move it.. and the chances of loss will be near zero ....

ken

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I have one planted near my power pole. It has been there for years, but the stems (trunks) are not all that thick...maybe 1/2 across at the biggest part. Each year it climbs clear to the top, and each year I (or the power company) cut it all off about eye level, and then I attempt to putll down the dead stuff.

Maybe you could do that or they could do it for you. Also mine runs across the bed there, and roots wherever it touches down and springs up willy nilly here and there.. It is likely you could get it started that way, and then maybe make your own trellis somewhere between your bedroom window and the power pole. I certainly understand the power co not wanting vegetation encroaching in on a power line. Mine is a drop pole, as opposed to one carrying electricity down the road.

I've also always wanted to try and train one to a 'standard' and have it look much like a tree.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: wisteria info

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor