Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

perlite depth

hi george.. et al ....

money is tight.. i like to play around with trying to root conifers in winter... below is a picture of my little greenhouses... which then go under lights... with a heat mat that i seem to recall is unregulated at 78 degrees ... meaning the temp is what it is ...

two questions ....

first.. to save a few bucks.. do i really need that much perlite? its about 5 inches deep .. perhaps i could get away with 3?? .. it is apparent it has to be deep enough to support the cutting .... thoughts please ....

second ... since i have only one heat mat.. but two shelves.. if i tent the shelves.. with the lights inside ... plus the mat... i am sure i can get both shelves over 78 ... if not higher [though i would open up the tenting enough to not let it get too high ... i am sure we dont want to cook them] ... is it imperative to have the mat directly below the milk jugs.. is ambient temp also an option ... i am going to give it all a try regardless ........ if we ever get out of single digits .. i am just wondering about your thoughts ...

thanks in advance... ken

{{gwi:5067}}

Comment (1)