Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cellscape

Clones for the Spring

viridis
16 years ago

I just built a cloning machine and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of plants to clone for the spring. I took a medium dark storage container, drill 30 holes in the top and ran an air stone from a pump in the container. I filled it up with water, bought 30 reusable cutting plugs from the garden store, got some root /cutting hormone and a plant flourescent from Lowes which I hung 2.5 feet above it. I've already rooted Rosemary and it worked like a charm in 2 weeks. My goal is to find plants early and start them inside from cuttings and share them with friends as well as use them in my yard. I'm new at this so recommendations on the process and what to try cloning would be great.

Comments (8)

• conifers
    16 years ago

Hi, I've been looking at machines that sound similar to what you're doing there. This has sparked my mind greatly. Any chance you could tell me a little more about how the plants are being rooted? How many air stones are you using + size of your container and are you circulating a water/nutrient source or something else and if so, how? I'd also be interested to know your total investment without the lighting (I'm intersted in incorporating something in a greenhouse).

In the meantime here's a list of plants successfully propagated in a machine that uses spray nozzles enriched with micro/macronutrients and an organic pesticide and some additional links.

This looks like the future to me as well as a friend of mine. However as this friend of mine recently said to me, why would I want to pay someone else to mist my cuttings (roots)...? Still worthwhile information to read in addition to your system and I'd like to know what you think of yours and then this, please. nice work!

Also, could you show photos of how everything in your system works? Or describe in more detail? Ultimately, I'd really like to see some photos.

Congratulations. Indeed...

Dax

p.s. I bought some airstone pumps once for dropping them in a water glass because someone was successfully rooting clematis but I never got around to using them, so I know you are probably using them to bubble the solution (oxygen enriching, correct ?).

Thanks a lot,

Dax

NASA Article

Aeroponics International

Same link above scroll down on left hand side of the page to, "Horticulture and Ag Uses". From there you can select 'Plant Species Database' and other links.

[Overview Aeroponics-The Systems](http://www.tau.ac.il/~ecology/virtau/goldin/system.htm#Aero-Gro_System(AGS)

• viridis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It all cost around 30-35$ and duplicates what I saw at the hydro/garden center. My storage container was about 12 inches tall and 2 feet wide. It depends on how many clones you want on your machine. You also don't want the container too deep b/c its flexible and the water, which needs to be poured to the top, will bend the container if you add to much. Plus its harder to change out, so don't get a real deep container. I used one dual tube pump. It has an adjuster and tubing with it. The tubing runs into the water and attaches to another type of flexible air tubing. which releases bubbles all down the shaft. You can adjust it like a snake down in the water so that the bubbles are evenly distributed. One per container should do but I bought a dual so it has two. Get either a dark container or paint it black. The light should not be exposed to the roots. If you don't use all the cloning slots cover the unused ones for darkness. Buy plugs with slits for clones 1.5 in diameter roughly and put then over drilled holes about an inch in diameter. leave space so the plugs have room between one another. You can dip cuttings in root solution but I'm not sure if its necessary. Just make sure root tip is touching or close to toucking water surface. Hang light far enough above to get to plants but not stimulate plant growth. Usually 2 or 3 feet. I used 80 watts from home depot. All the other materials came from the garden store as far as plugs and pump and tubing. Oh, you need the water around 85 degress for quickest results. I used an old aquarium heater.

• conifers
    16 years ago

That's pretty cool viridis. I'm got a pretty good visual idea of that you're saying. What's the flexible air tubing called? Where'd ya buy the plugs with slits which I assume are rubber or plastic?

Is a dual tube pump similar to what is used for a powering a water fountain. A simple water pump about 2" x 2"?

Pretty darn interesting. Sounds like a great thing you got there.

I apologize for not returning to this thread as I completely forgot, that's my excuse.

Thanks,

Dax

• viridis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I basically built the machine on this link. You can see the plugs at the bottom. They are more like a foam material.

This is not for growing but to clone plants, get them rooted, and then transplant them to soil. Its easier than seeds and less expensive then buying multiple plants.

Here is the air pump.
    http://www.77hydrostore.com/acc131.html
    The tubing you'll have to research. I have a hard plastic tubing that goes into the container with a type of flexible foam tubing that attaches to it in the water. Various bubble float out of the foam and you cab position it to evenly disperse the bubble throughout the container.

• dirtbert
    16 years ago

I have an ExClone machine and just love it. It was a gift from my hubby a few years ago. Made me a little queezy to find out how much it cost, but it was a gift and I'll enjoy it none the less!
    So back to your original question. One of the easiest plants I've found to clone has been wave petunias. I've struggled starting them from seeds so I just buy a few different varieties at the nursery center each spring. Take cuttings for my cloning machine and within a week or two they have roots started. I filled my yard with beautiful wave petunias last summer just buying 4 plants at the nursery (all different varieties).

I've also had great success with hardy geraniums, bee balm, lilac cuttings, current cuttings...oh the list goes on and on.
    Whenever I need to trim anything or a branch of something breaks off, it is an excuse to try it out in the cloning machine :)

• viridis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, the cloning machines in the garden store range from 150$ to 450$. Mine is the same but not as pretty and cost 35$ I'll definately check out your recommendations and also feel free to try anything.

• conifers
    16 years ago

Got it Thanks! I already had the dual pump and I have some large air stones but I'll look into finding some of that flexible tubing. You should try Acer palmatum. According to the chart I sent in the link above they root very quickly, I think it was 7 days. Thuja occidentalis in 17 days. That's amazing.

I'd recommend the natural fungicide solution they (Aeroponics) is selling. Then again, I think I'll try everything with just water first. I have a reverse osmosis system so the water couldn't be better.

Thanks again,

Dax

• cherice_c
    16 years ago

This is fascinating! Could someone please tell me what cutting plugs are?

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts