Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borahorza

Ponytail Palm Move and Propagation

BoraHorza
10 years ago

I have a very large Ponytail Palm next to my pool. Its bulbous body has grown so large that it is damaging my pool. The plant is about 8 or 9 feet high with many "heads" (see picture). There is no way that I can dig the plant out without damaging either it or my pool and decking. I will probably need to cut the bulb. I thought of trying to save it by cutting off the heads and replanting them somehow. Is this possible? Most of the heads have bases much thicker than my thigh. Would these heads survive if I applied rooting hormone and replanted them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment (1)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

If you don't get most of the bulb/roots out, it will keep growing. It's not really a bulb, just a fat trunk. I would pull up some of the deck boards to be able to dig it out. Might as well pull the whole tree up unmolested since I don't think just cutting it off at the surface will solve your problem, unless you had planned to poison the trunk. It's a beautiful tree!

I don't have any experience propagating this plant, sorry I can't answer that part of your question.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals