Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tissue-Culture Kits or Make your Own?

Posted by yellowseven Dallas (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 06 at 11:10

< I am very sorry if this isn't the right category. I tried to find a "Culture" area but didn't find one. >

I just recently learned about growing banana plants from tissue-culture method. I am VERY UNFAMILIAR with this process and understand there are "kits" available to help you with this process. What I was wondering is:

1. Anyone using one of these kits?
2. Is there a source available that will show you how to make your own kit?
3. Any books or publications one might recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tissue-Culture Kits or Make your Own?

I have done it both ways but I learned in a university laboratoy. If you have had a laboratory where you learned the sterile handling of materials such as a beginning microbiology lab, and if you enjoyed it, then you should be able to start with or without a kit.

Otherwise I would advise getting a kit and a book. Do a search on Amazon for~ plants "test tubes" ~they probably still sell a very basic beginners book. By now it should be on Amazon used books for a few dollars less.

There is an Australian site that has some good basics at the link below. Also Google for something called Kitchen culture kits. I think they now charge for most useful information.

BTW, does anyone else here on this board know if baby food is still sold in glass jars? If so these may be your best "test tubes".

Here is a link that might be useful: une.edu.au

o

Thank you for the link and information. It was very helpful.

I also found the Kitchen Culture Kit which might be my best way to get started. I was wondering if anyone knows:

1. What is MS, WPM, and KNUDSON?
2. What is agar?
3. What is BAP, kinetin, IPA and NAA?
4. What is PPM?
5. What is MSDS on CD?

I emailed them and asked them the same thing but thought I would post this here in case someone else already knows and can enlighten the group.

http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/Catalog.htm

Thanks

o

Partial definitions for some of your items:

1 Knudson is a specific formula for a culture medium. i.e. a list of ingredients and a receipe

2. Agar is a seaweed extract product which basically is like a super strong gelatin which you use to make a liquid medium into a stable gel.

3. BAP and kinetin are types of cytokinens. These materials are added to induce shoot growth. IPA (Indole propionic acid) and NAA (Napthalene acetic acid) are auxins. These materials are added to induce root growth. These auxins are what is used in rooting hormone powders.

4. PPM generally means 'parts per million' It is use to express very low concentration os materials in receipes. 1% is equal to 10,000 PPM.

5. An MSDS is a 'materials safety data sheet' the feds require this of all chemicals and it states potential dangers and allowable exposures. It is available generally online or on a CD (Compact Disc).

Hope this helps some.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here