Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Cutting Questions - Enought Time to Root/Plant/Eat

Posted by kabgmit 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 12:31

I read all 123 posts below from LAZY GARDENER looking for plants that cuttings will succeed in water and a few posters said they had great success rooting tomato plants in water. It brings two questions to mind....

1. One is about timing - one poster was from Canada so I am wondering if you take the cuttings from the current year and grow them all winter and then plant them the next year .... Like Canada warm summer days a fewer here in the Northeast and not sure if you would have enough time to root/plant/eat tomatoes ???

2. Where would you take the cutting from some said suckers and others did not make any reference

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Cutting Questions - Enought Time to Root/Plant/Eat

too many questions on a tomato ... lol .. its just too easy a plant ...

you can take an overgrown.. un-lit 18 inch tomato plant ... and dig a 16 inch hole .. and plant the thing...

it is one of the few things that i know of.. that will advantageously root along the whole stem .. and not rot before it does such ...

just do it ...

as to timing.. think of it this way ... you buy a cell pack in spring ... which is a rooted plant.. which is EXACTLY what a seedling is.. which is exactly what you want to bring out from the house.. a rooted plant ... at the point of planting.. its previous life is irrelevant ...

as of proper planting time.. inserted in ground ... [dont forget proper hardening off with an indoor plant] ... in theory.. IMHO ... they should both fruit at the same time ...

its a function of a vigorous plant ... soil temps .. inclination of the sun.. blah .. blah ...

but the one thing that should NOT matter .. is where the plant came from.. prior to proper spring planting ...

do NOT confuse germination to fruiting.. to time from planting to fruiting ...

are words failing me??

in all my years.. i have never heard of someone holding over their tomatoes ... not that it cant be done.. jsut that i never heard of it..

you may be breaking new ground here.. so dont get too frustrated.. if you cant find to many peeps with experience ... just experiment.. and let us know how it goes ...

can you link us to the 123 replies you allude too???

ken

o
RE: Tomato Cutting Questions - Enought Time to Root/Plant/Eat

Have you tried the Growing Tomatoes Forum? I know your questions are propagation-related, but I bet the people in the Growing Tomatoes Forum would have more expertise.

I would think that planting the seeds indoors early, or, buying small plants in the spring would be so much easier than holding over cuttings, but then I've never tried holding them over myself.

I would guess that it makes no difference whether you take the cuttings from suckers or not. Even if the suckers are less mature (likely to fruit) than the rest of the plant, that conditions would seem to be a fleeting difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here