Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for propagating Juniperis stems?

Posted by floyd2006 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 6, 07 at 13:57

My neighbor has a beautiful columnular Juniper. Its about 2' x 15' an I think it might be Juniperus Chinesis. I'd like to propagate from stem cuttings, but have never done this before.
Questions:

What would be the ideal width and length of the stems to take? Also planting depth?

I don't have a misting system, but thought about planting in a large aquarium in moist sand? Does this sound like it will work?

Would a heating mat speed up rooting in time for outdoor planting in spring?

I need any advice that can be proffered. Thanks for looking at this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for propagating Juniperis stems?

Take a cutting 4-6 inches long with a heal. apply 0.4% IBA stick in well drained soil. Misting not needed. bottom heat helpful.

o

Thank you, Georgez5il for your advice. I know I'm on the right path now. How deep should the 4-6 inch cuttings be planted--half way? Is there any chance that the scrap cuttings without a heal might sprout roots? I'm trying to do as many as possible from one tree.

o

On a four to six inch cutting, I would strip the needles off with my finger nail about half way and burry that potion in the rooting medium, sometimes a small heal will help the rooting process. This injury to the cutting stimulates the rooting process. Another alternative at this time of year is to dip them in a liquid rooting solution (I use Wood's or Dip n Grow diluted 1 to 5 with a 5 second dip)after scrapping off the needles and stick them in a flat of corse sand outside. Water them in and keep watered so they do not dry out. Right now, I have a 4' X 8' bed and three additional flats filled with various evergreen and deciduious cuttings. This method may take a while for them to root, but by next fall you will likely have roots. The following spring they can be planted out is a growing bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here