Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violet propagation unusualities.............

Posted by vangy SW Mi (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 17, 07 at 14:25

I brought 2 white violet leaves home from vacation on Lake Superior, Cornucopia, Wi. They are making new leaves on the rooted leaf that has been potted up.

Also, a double blue violet that has a siamese leaf. Two stems fused together w/1 leaf that is curled is 1/2 circle.
And, a leaf stem that had a "1/2" scab/scar" above the rooted tip where new leaves had sprouted, and at the top of the "scab/scar" after it was potted up. And, these leaves are sending up multiple plants.

Also, a why ??? I have several cuttings of honeysuckle vine, and some cutting tips get tiny white "bulbs?"
long before the roots appear. Why ???

Vangy likes to play in the dirt year round

Anyone else havaing unusual growths w/ their propagations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violet propagation unusualities.............

If you are referring to 'African Violets' here (Saintpaulia) that is the common way to propagate them. Never heard of it for real violets (Viola) though.

The bulb on the cutting is what is called 'callus tissue' and is often formed on injured plants or cuttings. It is a form of undifferentiated tissue which can now form new roots or growth points.

George

o
RE: Violet propagation unusualities............thanks George.

I have propagated african vilets for several years now, and these are the first unusualalities I have had. I root them in water w/ rootone in a sunny east window in glass.

Thanks for the explanation on the honeysuckle.

Vangy likes to play in the dirt year round.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here