Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help on red twig dogwood

Posted by lauranell 8 South Mississippi (lnw3602@aol.com) on
Fri, Jan 16, 09 at 14:33

I am pretty new to the propagation business. I found this site very helpful, thanks.

I have had some red twig dogwood cuttings, diped in horomone and in the soiless mix for a week or so now. They already have little leaves on them. When do I take them out a check for roots and/or put them in their own pots? Do I just leave them alone for a while?

I have cuttings of several others too. Chocolate vine, Pink flowering Almond, muscadine vine. Is the answer to the dogwood the same for all of these?

Thanks.

Lauranell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help on red twig dogwood

Red twig roots quickly, but not that fast. Are you using any bottom heat? Are the cuttings outside? Are they enclosed in plastic or open air?

Even under optimal conditions, I'd say 4-8 weeks to root based on my experience. Leaves don't mean anything except that the cuttings have come out of dormancy.

o

I have two sets of the dogwoods. One in sand and the other in the soilless soil stuff. They are both inside with plastic over them. The ones in the "soil" did start having leaves sooner, the the sanded ones have them now too. I'll wait to have a look for about a month I guess. Thanks for the input.
Lauranell

o

I just wanted to add that as of today, (I had to see) I actually do have roots. They are about 1/4 inch long but they are roots non the less, or are they?

lauranell

o

Could be. Not everything abides by rules in nature. I've had some dormant cuttings root incredibly fast while others took months and never put out enough to pot up. Like these blasted figs I'm trying to root in the baggies.

o

I live in Pennsylvania. One sunny day in March I decided to cut a few branches off my red twig dogwood and just "stick it" in the ground. To my amazement in the Spring it put out leaves. This was done on the North side of my house and close to the brick wall. I hope this works for you.

o

I have a question about propagating the red twig dogwood also. I took five or six cuttings, and put them in a vase with water. Only one began making roots (several inches long), and I may not remember correctly, but I thought they all formed new leaves at the top. So I planted them carefully in soil (after dipping them in root tone), and none of them lived!!! Any suggestions?

Diane from Michigan

o

I specialize in the propagation of Muscadine vines. I usually use a mixture of 3 part perlite t to 1 part peat moss. I use both a mist system and several Nearing Frames. I have equal success in both methods. Most of my cuttings set roots in about 5-6 weeks. In 8 weeks I pot them. If they haven't set roots in that period of time I pitch them. I usually have about a 95% success rate.

Hans
www.MuscadinesAndMore.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines And More

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here