Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigger_2010

Peace lilies

tigger_2010
14 years ago

What is the best method for propogating Peace lilies?

I'm going to be transplanting them to bigger pots with new soil and would like to Split/seperate/ propogate them.

Please help!!!

Comments (4)

• yiorges-z5il
    14 years ago

either seed or seperation (division) of main bulb & bulbules around the base....

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Just to clarify the terminology so that tigger doesn't get confused. Peace lilies don't produce bulbs or bulbils but can be reproduced very easily by separating the crowns.

When you de-pot your plant, you will readily observe these crowns at the soil level, as clusters of foliage that appear as if they are growing in a different direction than other clusters.

How many divisions you can successfully propagate depends upon the size of your plant, of course. I've found that larger divisions (which may include two or three crowns) transplant much more happily than tiny ones. For example, I'm more likely to simply divide a plant into two parts rather than 5 or 6.

Larger pots won't be necessary with your crown divisions, but new (rapidly draining) potting medium is.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

Hi Tigger 2010, I divided/re-potted 2 rather large Peace Lilies last spring and have learned a lot watching the results. I divided each crown into its own pot as my supply would allow. Only a very few "didn't survive" their new diggs but the others have done very well. Some were very small, they are still growing in #3 solo cups I grow AV babies in. At times they have been watered well. Other times... well not so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peace Lily photos

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

Native to: Man made hybrid
    Growth habit: A medium height plant usually not over 48" in height. Large plants can be up to 4 foot wide.
    Flowers: Yes, white spathe
    Temps: Normal indoor temps
    Humidity: Not critical.
    Pests: Not effected by many insects.

10" Spathiphyllum Lynise
    Houseplant Cultural information: "Peace Lilies" are probably the most popular plant in the USA. They are widely used to make Betta bowls. There are numerous varieties available from small leaved plants to very broad leaved plants, in every pot size imaginable. They are quite easy to grow. In a well lit, warm or dry environment... the can consume lots of water. Check for water 2 - 3 times per week until you are accustomed to your plants requirements. If your plant becomes severely wilted... place it in a bath tub or large sink and run plenty of water thru the soil to re-moisten the root ball. Repeated wilting will cause leaf spotting and brown leaf edges.
    Feed bi-monthly with Peter's Plant food. Make sure the soil is moist before feeding. New plants have been treated to flower, if your plant stops flowering, just be patient... it will bloom again.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area