Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DMSO solvent for rooting hormone

Posted by maple_grove 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 16:53

Hi all,

Just wondering what you thoughts are about the use of DMSO as solvent (and penetrant?) for rooting hormone (in this case IBA). I am aware of it's toxicity to humans, and to handle it safely. The question concerns its effect on the cuttings. Is DMSO toxic to plants at some concentration? Is the hormone dissolved in neat DMSO and the plant dipped in that, or is the DMSO solution diluted with water before quick dip?

Thanks,
Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DMSO solvent for rooting hormone

I am aware of it's toxicity to humans, and to handle it safely.

==>>

at that point.. i simply ask .. WHY USE IT???

looking for a 6th finger.. eleventh toe?? ... may we presume you are done procreating ... so we need not worry about your progeny ????

simply put .. when i was looking into it .. and i got to the point you are at.. i said .. IT AINT WORTH IT .. let someone else worry about self-inflicted genetic recombination

give me one reason you are willing to take the risk?????

and the only possible correct answer is that you are a retired/active scientist with a properly ventilated hermetically sealed laboratory available to screw around in ...

come on man.. skip it.. lifes to short ...

ken

ps: yeah.. rub it all over me.. from the link:

Potential Acute Health Effects:
Slightly hazardous in case of inhalation (lung irritant). Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye
contact (irritant), of ingestion, .

Potential Chronic Health Effects:
Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, sensitizer, permeator), of ingestion. CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS:
Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast.
TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance may be toxic to
blood, kidneys, liver, mucous membranes, skin, eyes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target
organs damage.

==>>> i usually smoke while using this type of product.. to offset the harmful effects of such ...

pps: i am messin with you.. just be careful ... but still try to answer.. why you need it???

Here is a link that might be useful: pdf link

o
RE: DMSO solvent for rooting hormone

To paraphrase ken's response: WHY?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here