Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burnsychef

Basil/Herbs and Rootone

burnsychef
16 years ago

I had a question about using rootone to propagate Thai Basil.

So basically I bought some rootone at a local garden shop so I could root cuttings from my thai basil. So after I was finished dipping and putting my cuttings in pellets, I actually read the entire bottle, not thinking previously herbs would not be one of its uses.

So I start googling and I seem to see alot of people who use this. So to double check I go to the manufacturers website and look at their FAQ. It says rootone is for ornamentals only. At this point im kinda confused so I call them up directly, only to be told "Its registered for use with ornamentals only" . I couldnt get much else out of this person. Im sure for legal reasons.

Im wondering if the fungicide it uses is the questionable element. Does it get absorbed into the plant's biology or something? I'd think before the time you would use any of the edibles of the plant all the rootone would be flushed out.

With all the scary warnings on the label,Its a wonder anyone would use this stuff for anything. Is this just a legal catch all, as in the same warning for a small bottle and a commercial 50 gallon drum of it?

So basically im just sitting here pondering whether I should just chuck out all my new starts in fear of some kind of plant poisoning.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this question.

John

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County