Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hvander_gw

At a total loss!

hvander
10 years ago

I'm at a total loss! I've been trying to propagate dahlias using tip cuttings and my success rate is less than 20%. I've tried everything that I can think of and what drives me crazy is that people say its so easy. I've tried a peatmoss/perlite/compost mix and oasis cubes. I've tried high humidity and low humidity; with a dome and without a dome. I've disinfected my tools, trays and anything else that might come into contact with the cuttings...including my hands. I've tried a rooting hormone with and without a fungicide. I'm trying to root them indoors under artificial light and maintain a temperature of 68 - 70 degrees. I really don't know what else to try. Does anyone have suggestions? I keep looking for new information that I might have missed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Henry (p.s. I've also posted this on the dahlia forum.)

Comments (10)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

The first thing I'd look at is moisture levels, especially down near the lower part of your cuttings (not surface level moisture). This is the most likely area for problems. After that, it could be a lot of things. It would help to know more about what exactly happened to your cuttings (did they just sit there never grow roots, did they rot, or what). Also, even greater specifics on what you did (type and method of rooting hormone, when you took the cuttings, etc) would likely be very helpful.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Henry, plants sense what time of year it is through light, heat, humidity and other factors. We can't root plants very well even here in Florida from November through February. Plants root best during the active growing season when all of the conditions are favorable. For us, that is March - September. You may think you have perfectly replicated those conditions artificially but ask anyone who has a salt-water aquarium how difficult that actually is. Bottom line is that your timing is all wrong. You are working against all of the forces. Plants want to remain dormant right now, not put down new roots or new growth. Try again with a vengeance - for you, probably in May, June and July - and let us know how it goes!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"Bottom line is that your timing is all wrong."

There is no basis, as of yet, to believe that is true. In fact, there's reason to doubt that propagation was tried anytime recently, since it's the middle of winter. Still we don't have any information on timing!

Since this was a double post, I will provide a link to the other post below, for anyone interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duplicate Post in the Dahlia Forum

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

No, timing is a bit extreme - miles too early imo.

• hvander
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure it's the timing. However, I do know that tubers in storage will start to push eyes in April even if the temperature and humidity are the same as they were in January. So, maybe they do "know".
    I'm starting early in an attempt to increase some varieties. So, I may not necessarily keep anything that I root now.
    Henry

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"No, timing is a bit extreme - miles too early imo."

Campanula, can you tell us how (before Hvander's last post) you determined when the cuttings were taken or attempts were made to propagate? I'd sure love to know! If you have access to a crystal ball, I need some predictions from you!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Brandon, I can root almost anything in March and April. I can root almost nothing in November through February.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Exactly! That's why it's good to know "when".

edit:
    ...and why I asked in the very first response.

This post was edited by brandon7 on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 21:56

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

cuttings taken any time around now are going to be waiting almost 5 months to go in the ground outside....why would you want to raise these plant with all the fuss it entails, keeping them warm and light.
    This was the second dahlia post I replied to (and possibly conflated the two) so I generally assume that people are talking about doing it now rather than some unspecified time in the future (as, I believe other posters implied).

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

In this thread, the original poster clearly indicated the attempts were in the past. It does seem to have been a source of confusion that multiple posts had apparently been made by the same person about the same subject and even in this same forum. I was not aware of the previous post, and that is why I asked WHEN the work was done. I'm not sure how the future comes into play here, but the confusion, by people that had read the other post, about my timing question is understandable, I guess.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022