Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edgeworthia from cuttings

Posted by chemical-geezer 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 20:15

It's that season again for the propagation of that beautiful shrub, Edgeworthia chrysantha. I have tried many times to root cuttings by the methods offered in the literature without any luck whatsoever. If anyone has been successful in root induction of this plant, I will VERY much appreciate hearing from you. And for you who are not familiar with this jewel, you should avail yourself of the services of a good library or perhaps the Internet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edgeworthia from cuttings

I checked in my copy of 'The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation' by M. Dirr and C. Heuser, Jr and they make no reference to this plant, sorry.

o

I have not tried rooting cuttings from the several growing in my yard. Love this shrub! Before giving up suggest that you do a search here on this Forum for my several postings on the "Toothpick Technique". This method really should be tried. I have found it to be the most reliable and easiest for woody plants, especially difficult to root ones.

o

It's a great plant, and well worth propagating, if the technique can be mastered. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd use the same plan as for Daphne, since it's a relative - semi-ripe cuttings in mid - late summer with mist, if you have that capability. I have a small plant of the red-flowered variety that I received last fall, but it's not looking real hopeful right now; I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

o

This plant is sometimes known as "Paper Bush" A tip cutting of firm new growth is used... apply 0.3% IBA (note strength of rooting hormone) rooting time 25-60 days so misting is necessary & bottom heat is helpful

o

I too have asked this very question and the answer from the experts at Clemson University say it is difficult or near impossible to propagate from cuttings. The only way they know of getting more plants is to dig around the base of the plant and retrieve suckering growth with as much roots attached as possible then pot it up and grow for a year in a protected area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here