Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemical_geezer

Edgeworthia from cuttings

chemical-geezer
15 years ago

It's that season again for the propagation of that beautiful shrub, Edgeworthia chrysantha. I have tried many times to root cuttings by the methods offered in the literature without any luck whatsoever. If anyone has been successful in root induction of this plant, I will VERY much appreciate hearing from you. And for you who are not familiar with this jewel, you should avail yourself of the services of a good library or perhaps the Internet.

Comments (17)

• ncdirtdigger
    15 years ago

I checked in my copy of 'The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation' by M. Dirr and C. Heuser, Jr and they make no reference to this plant, sorry.

• nandina
    15 years ago

I have not tried rooting cuttings from the several growing in my yard. Love this shrub! Before giving up suggest that you do a search here on this Forum for my several postings on the "Toothpick Technique". This method really should be tried. I have found it to be the most reliable and easiest for woody plants, especially difficult to root ones.

• bubba62
    15 years ago

It's a great plant, and well worth propagating, if the technique can be mastered. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd use the same plan as for Daphne, since it's a relative - semi-ripe cuttings in mid - late summer with mist, if you have that capability. I have a small plant of the red-flowered variety that I received last fall, but it's not looking real hopeful right now; I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• yiorges-z5il
    15 years ago

This plant is sometimes known as "Paper Bush" A tip cutting of firm new growth is used... apply 0.3% IBA (note strength of rooting hormone) rooting time 25-60 days so misting is necessary & bottom heat is helpful

• tiarella
    10 years ago

I too have asked this very question and the answer from the experts at Clemson University say it is difficult or near impossible to propagate from cuttings. The only way they know of getting more plants is to dig around the base of the plant and retrieve suckering growth with as much roots attached as possible then pot it up and grow for a year in a protected area.

• SCMG
    9 years ago

Hmmm, since I didnt know it was impossible to root this, ijust snapped a lower branch off an Edgeworthia i saw growing somewhere in late fall or winter, took it home, dipped it in Rootone and stuck it directly in the ground. Then I watered to keep th soil moist and in spring it leafed out. There was a very wet summer so it was moist all that first summer,. Sine then (2.5 yrs ago), I have just kept it watered like any young plant.
    It is going to flower profusely this winter.

• Jwsmith
    3 years ago

I live in zone 8 Hampton, VA. I took 8 cuttings 7/28/2020 And potted in propagation mix (equal parts perlite, vermiculite and peat moss) And placed in misting house. 4 times a day for 10 minutes. Of the 8 four had great roots coming out the bottom of the pot. Potted those up in garden soil to harden off and put in hoop house. 10/13/2020. Don’t want to chance them dying this winter. Will bring out in spring. Of the other four, one had small root, the other 3 had no roots but all have buds. I snipped a little off the stem and applied rooting hormone and put all back in misting house. I am sure they will root. I plan on taking more cuttings from the mother tree after it blooms

• emmerick
    3 years ago

I have some cuttings in water right now. I had used the same water to root a rosemary cutting. It’s been potted up and now just waiting to see if the edgeworthia will set roots. Some white nodules have formed on the clipped end and I’m hoping roots will be next.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

just found this old thread as I was searching for how to propagate edgeworthia suckers. I found a bunch today. I will try to get some out with roots to give away.... I love this shrub so much. I never heard of it before I had it in this garden. I have two and that is enough for me, but I would love to share with others so I hope it works!!

• kchernicky
    2 years ago

Are the suckers under the soil or on the plant itself? I have suckers, too, so I'm curious to see how you do this and if it works.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

I am Just a newbie so it’s like the blind leading the blind here... I pulled All the suckers from one of my edgeworthias this evening. I just gently pulled until they came loose. I was surprisingly able to get most out with roots attached. Some broke out with no root Some I had to prune as they were too old and wouldnt pull up. Who knows when this was done last?

I am over run with plants so I am giving them away to see if anyone wants them. I’ve read that it can be hard to get them to take. I have two of the shrubs and that is plenty for my garden. Hopefully someone else will be able to get one going. Such a lovely plant.

• yetmore
    2 years ago

I would love one, manaham. I am in NC too, zone 7B. Wondering if there’s a way to PM on this board…

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

@yetmore I don't have any now., sorry.

• anjeer
    8 months ago

I took cuttings of about 8-12" long, finger thick, in the fall. Kept them inside in a jar of water for about a couple of months. When they made significant calluses on the ends I planted them en-masse in a gallon pot and waited a few more months. In the end, one out of ten+rooted. But that one is looking splendid, and the effort was minimal.

• kchernicky
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I took cuttings, wet the end of each, and placed root tone on the end. Voila! I have had great success but it took almost a year to do so. I had placed them in medium size clay pots with regular potting soil. It can be done but it takes patience.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH