Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus cutting that is healthy but does not thrive

Posted by maregug none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 20:34

I started a ficus benjamina cutting two years ago. It was from a large, thriving mother plant and the cutting was pencil sized. It's rooted, it's healthy and I've had some leaf growth, but it's never gotten much bigger than the original cutting, even when using fertilizers after the roots were well established. When I re-potted about six months ago, the root system didn't seem very developed and were only located across the original cut. It was my first woody plant propagation and at the time, I had seen stuff on the internet that talked about cutting notches below the nodes on the woody stem that was going to be below the soil level, which would create a more extensive rooting network, which I did not do...I just went with the cut across the stem. I'm curious if I should try to do that now...repot the plant and in the process, cut notches below the nodes to establish additional roots and hopefully get more growth as a result. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks so much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus cutting that is healthy but does not thrive

If your plant is already rooted, I see no reason to start cutting on it. Roots growing from more places is not beneficial. The plant will grow root volume as it needs it, and nicking (the inverse of notching) will not increase root system volume. Only a growing plant is going to make more roots, and a vigorously growing plants will make more roots more quickly.

It's hard to say why your plant is not growing vigorously. Moisture levels, amount of light, nutrient availability, and plant genetics will all play a part. If you think the genetic part and the nutrient part are not the issue, maybe review lighting/sun-exposure and watering. Also, maybe your plant is just catching up (readjusting and growing roots) after growing from a cutting. I've had many cutting-grown plants just seem to set for a while and then suddenly take off.

o
RE: Ficus cutting that is healthy but does not thrive

Thanks, Brandon. I'll be patient and see what happens. It's healthy enough, just not growing. Hopefully it will take off like you mention.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here