Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sambal_gw

Dividing Phoriums

sambal
16 years ago

Four years ago I purchased a beautiful red-purple phorium. It has turned into a large plant but the last two years the new emerging leaves look as though someone put them through a crimper! Although it is in a very large tub, I'm guessing that it needs a larger tub...don't have any...or it needs to be divided. When and how should I do this. Thanks for your time, SAM

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

Dividing Phormium is no problem, they are easy to separate, I use a root knife. Al

• sambal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Al, Thanks so much. I'm very eager to get this done, and we should be able to get a few nice divisions! Sam

• schmoo
    16 years ago

Also double check to make sure the plant does not have root mealy bugs, check here for photos..... (http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/ground_mealybug.htm)
    I have heard several people commenting on seeing the pest and the "crimped leaf" at the same time on Phormium. It is a difficult pest to deal with and it seems to like the PNW

• sambal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would never have suspected that. We are presently about to have a nasty cold front so as much as I'd like to check out the roots, it will have to wait a while. Whenever I see evidence of mealy bugs on non-edible and non blooming plants, I resort to potting the plant up with the recommended amount of systemic. That is the only way I have eradidated them. I know it is not very good for the environment, but I refuse to lose plants to those pests. And, the only plants I have noticed them on were cacti that I keep inside during the winter. I just purchased four new cacti and when I plucked them from thier pots, the roots were clean. I have always been surprised how many plants that I've purchased have icky critters, or dying roots. I will let you know if there are mealies on this plant. I have never heard about mealies being present at the same time I am seeing crimped leaves! That could be very informative to those who grow Phorium. Have a good weekend, SAM

• schmoo
    16 years ago

SAM,

Even before/if you divide them, you could find them.While they are called ground mealy bug, you will find them at or above the soil line here in the PNW (but they still like the roots also)....they are easily the number one pest of Phormiums in this neck of the woods.
    The crimped foilage & mealy bugs were were off-hand comments, but several people mentioned it...worth thinking about.
    The most up-to-date information on control (UC Davis 2006 IR4 Trials) should newer chemistry,HIGHLY systemic products provided the best control...it is NOT an easy pest to control.

Schmoo

• sambal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wouldn't ya jest know it!!! Well, I know they don't sell any highly systemic products to the public, so I will have to go with what I've got and just keep at it! Once the plant is divided and several of the offsets potted in their own container, it might make the chore a bit easier. Does it hurt if I need to remove xome of the roots? I'm hoping I pot up the divisions, one to a one gallon pot. Thats what I started with three years ago. SAM

• schmoo
    16 years ago

Yes, use what you have...label rate..."if" you find them:-)!! They will be easy to see if/when you peel back an outer leaf blade from the fan (hope that makes sence).
    If you have a systemic "Bayer" product for outdoor use, the active ingredient is probably in the same chemical family as what was used in research trials, just older chemistry..."much" slower getting into the plant.
    I dont think it will hurt to remove "some" of the roots...

• cmorton
    16 years ago

I just noticed this mealybug problem on two phoriums in the ground. Is there any "natural" remedy? I have fish in close proximity and am reluctant to use chemicals. It wasn't there about two weeks ago and now plants look horrible! Plants are still small - about 18-24" and I don't think it's gotten on all of them (yet). Thanks for any ideas
    Carla