Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahji_gw

Propagating succulents from old cuttings (had 'em for two weeks)

sarahji
15 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first message - you guys all seem really knowledgeable. I'm excited to be part of this community!

So I picked up some great succulent & cactus cuttings from my sister's yard in San Diego... kalanchoe, jade, some kind of columnar cactus, christmas cactus, what looks like graptopetalum or sedum, and what look like speckled aloe, some kind of red crassula, cotyledon (green pig's ear) and spanish moss. Some are single leaves; some are clusters (like a little aloe cluster), and others are stems with leaves on them (like the jade plant). I am planning to plant them indoors to go with the rest of my succulents.

The problem is they've been lying around for 14 days now. They're looking pretty droopy and wilty (some more than others, especially the jade, christmas cactus, and cotyledon, around the edges).

The woman at the plant store suggested cutting off a little bit of the end of the stems to reveal a less dry part, then letting that dry out again for a day or two, then planting them. I bought some (5" deep) pots and some sand and cactus/succulent potting mix - and some Rootone rooting hormone with fungicide.

What do you think? My sister's friend originally got all of these plants from cuttings herself, and she said she left hers in her yard for like a month before she planted them.

Thanks a lot!

Comments (3)

Sponsored