Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trpnbils

Growing from clones?

trpnbils
10 years ago

I posted this in the tomato forum since it's the plant I would be using if I tried this, but then I found this forum (if a moderator feels it should be deleted from one or the other, I'd prefer this one is left here as I think it'll get more traffic than the tomato forum).

Anyway, in the context of taking cuttings from garden vegetable plants like tomatoes, is there any reason NOT to grow from cuttings versus the traditional seed start? I just watched a video by GardenPool.org on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eMt3kCUYnw) about making an aeroponic "clone factory" out of a 5-gallon bucket. From what the person said, you have the benefit of lots of "older" small plants at transplant time that are larger than their seed-started counterparts. One thing that comes to mind is that obviously you'd want to take off any blossoms until the plant was of a good size so that your yield remains higher.

It seems easy enough to do, but if there weren't some down side to it, wouldn't more people be doing this with their vegetable garden? What am I missing here?

Comments (2)