Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
masud_gw

Real name of this Yellow Money Plant

masud
10 years ago

Hy guys, Im a new gardener. I brought a small plant that is similar to general "Money Plant" but its leafs are light yellow. at the first they were good on my room. Recently I noticed that their leafs are getting curly and soft. what to do now?
Soil is not over watered, and here, winter season is going now. Please guys, help me whats going wrong. And can I put it on a bottle with water? and what is the real name of it?

Comments (13)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Looks like a Philodendron to me. maybe P. erubescens. Is there a hole in the bottom of this planter for excess water to drain out?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

If I were you, I'd take a more detailed picture of a leaf (including where it attaches to the stem) in addition to the picture above (which shows leaf arrangement well) and post both in the Name That Plant Forum. It very well may end up being Philodendron erubescens or a related species, but a better picture would probably increase certainty of the ID.

The bottle planter looks insufficient, to me, to grow that plant. Even with holes in the bottom, drainage would not be great because of the limited depth of soil. Moisture levels would go quickly from saturation to dry. I would replant in a more appropriate container.

10 years ago

Yes, "maybe" means I'm not sure, from this pic.

In a container, drying quickly is the easiest way to avoid rotting roots. (This is why succulents are often seen in wide, shallow containers, and usually in some type of unglazed clay.) If Masud is using a dense, water-retentive mix, and likes to water often, a bigger container could mean death.

Of more immediate concern is the fact that plants rarely do well if there is no hole. Hence the fact that Masud may need to cover some basics before being able to select a container that would be any better, from the perspective of the plant. There is definitely room in this container to add more mix but should roots fill the pot, the pot would probably need to be cut off. I wouldn't consider that a problem, but don't know Masud's thoughts on it.

If it is a Philo, it would take a long time for its' roots to outgrow a 2-liter container, though it's not certain that's the size from this pic, as assumption on my part.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"In a container, drying quickly is the easiest way to avoid rotting roots."

...and a great way to require much more frequent watering.

"This is why succulents are often seen in wide, shallow containers, and usually in some type of unglazed clay."

...and if Masud's plant was a succulent, the soda bottle pot might be a better choice, especially if it has holes for drainage.

"If Masud is using a dense, water-retentive mix, and likes to water often, a bigger container could mean death."

You could replace "bigger container" with "smaller, more shallow container" and have an equally true sentence!

10 years ago

I'm glad to see your new-found interest in container plants, Brandon. Not something in which I've seen you involve yourself before.

I might recommend some reading material. Container overview. Container soils.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"I'm glad to see your new-found interest in container plants, Brandon. Not something in which I've seen you involve yourself before."

What a hoot that you think it's a "new" interest! I have had over 100 indoor plants and more outdoor potted plants than I'd want to count, for decades now. I've probably given away more than 50 indoor plants just this past year, and still can't see out of my windows. I have large customer shelving units on most of my windows to hold all the plants (yes, it's an addiction). I have a decent Sansevieria collection, a pretty broad succulent collection, and a bunch of somewhat rare stuff, indoors. My outdoor potted plants consists mostly of a large Sempervivum collection, way way too many irises and daylilies (that probably should be planted out), all kinds of small trees and shrubs, and some odds-and-ends perennials. All the delivery people (mail, UPS, pizza) think I'm running a commercial nursery.

I'm very familiar with Al's notes. I was actually going to produce some very similar posts myself, a few years back. I found some of Al's stuff back then in a search result. After reading Al's post (I think there was only the initial drainage-related thread back then), I decided not to re-invent the wheel.

10 years ago

Brandon, I apologize, I had no idea, thought you were strictly a tree/shrub-o-phile. This is the first time I've seen you comment on a 'house plant' though I don't read every thread on every forum here. That's very cool! My house is full of a ridiculous amount of plants as well, but if you're getting plants via mail, you've gone even farther around the bend than I. You're right about pizza, some days there's just not time to cook after futzing with the plants all day. I'm pleasantly surprised to read what you said.

Why do we never see you in the house plant forum? C/S? Tropicals? Sans? It sounds like you would have some valuable insights and anecdotes to share on all of these, and of course pics.

If you're familiar with the info linked above, why the objection to what I said? Frequent drying/watering is good (in terms of plant health, not necessarily for a human's schedule.) Not asking in snark, genuinely curious.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Yes, drying out is good (near a necessity with many plants), but, as you mentioned, the gardener's schedule is important, AND, many plants actually do better on a slightly slower wet/dry schedule than others. This is a very general generalization, but usually the more water loving a plant is, the slower the wet/dry cycle it needs.

Even more importantly, deeper pots allow for a moisture reserve without rot. With deeper pots (the necessary depth depends on the soil particle size), saturation will only occur in the lower part of the pot and not the upper portion of the soil. Most plants can deal with this much better than if the soil was saturated at the surface (near the "crown" of the plant). Shallow pots (relative to soil particle size) allow saturation throughout the soil profile.

I don't do the Houseplant Forum mostly because of time. I spend much of my Gardenweb time on the Trees, Shrubs, Tennessee Gardening, Botany, and this forum (which is probably already too much time). I am into all kinds of plants, but arboriculture and landscaping are my concentrations.

10 years ago

Brandon, I'm not sure how this got messed up above. I don't disagree with that at all. I'm sure it's mostly me, this weather is making me cranky and giving me cabin fever pretty hard. Nice to learn more about you! Very kind of you to share info with the time you do have. Good karma. Cheers!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I'm a little confused about what you don't agree with, but for anyone interested in learning more about drainage, in addition to Al's posts, I'd recommend a very popular book called Arboriculture by Richard W. Harris. There are uncountably many books that describe drainage (which is not really a self-evident topic to most), but that one seems to cover the subject well and straight-forwardly. Even though the book is about arboriculture, it covers drainage in containers and soil pockets very well (sometimes even relatively large trees are grown in containers). The book should be in just about any library. It's also well worth the money if you want to know more about growing trees.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

P.S. I know what you mean, Purpleinopp, about cabin fever. It's been too cold to do much work outside (at least for someone like me, looking for an excuse not to do it), and I've had more time inside. I'll probably be angry at myself later for not getting stuff done, but at least it's warm inside for now.

• masud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you guys, you helped me to identify my lovely plant, now I know that it is a Philodendron. I was amazed after seeing so many replies. You guys really love plants. I also love plants , like they are babies and they need to feed food after sometime, and when they are out of foo they become dry and asking our help.... cute plants...