Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is best seedling plug manufacturer?

Posted by bobsmith2482 zone 5, indiana (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 3, 07 at 23:09

Looking through plant and seed catalogs, I've noticed companies are selling plugs for growing seedlings, made from composted bark. The plugs are spongy and hold their shape. They supposedly hold the right amount of water. My questions: who make these plugs? Park seed company sells their variety. Gurneys sell a variety. There is the Q-plug, Peaceful Valley sells or makes their own, plus several other companies sell similiar products. Which plug is the best and gives you the best seedling quality?
How do you use the plug you buy? Do you grow the seedling to completion in the plug? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is best seedling plug manufacturer?

lacking a greenhouse.. and all the attendant equipment for temp/humidity/etc control .. i have had horrible luck with plugs in the house ....

you would be just as far ahead using the smallest plastic cups[solo] you can find ... use a razor to cut the bottom rim for drainage.. and going to the best yuppie nursery .. and getting the best soiless seedling medium you can afford ....

most plugs are high in peat moss .. which is very hard to maintain in the house.. too wet.. or too dry .. never a happy medium ....

that said .. i expect a multitude of answers about how easy it is to do with plugs ... lol ...

good luck

ken

o

Plugs are used until a good root system is established and then the seedling can be transplanted into a larger container for growing out.

I experimented with them for classroom purposes, but didn't like them. My husband used them in his greenhouse at the university, but I observed that they were keeping the plants in those plugs waaaaay too long, stunting their growth. They'd be useful if you were growing seedlings to sell as plugs. My opinion.

I'm a seedling flat person. Wait, that didn't come out right....a 'seedling-flat' person. ;-)

o

Forty years ago I tried every plug described in the textbooks or sold in the catalogues and did not care for any of them. My experience was that most of the time the roots wanted to stay in the plug and did not want to venture out into the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here