Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Moving or RE-moving Hedges

karyn
11 years ago

We're buying a house that has these giant 12'+ high bush/hedges growing close to a screened in lanai blocking out what would otherwise be, golf course views.

We are going to get rid of them. (Dark green bushes in photo)

In another area of the yard, we could use those types of hedges since fences are not allowed and we want to enclose an area of our yard for a dog.

So the question is - can they be dug out and moved - or are they simply too big and costly to do this? Cutting them down and digging the roots out would be the fast and easy way obviously.

{{gwi:1168586}}

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

unless they are some exotic fancy hybrid.. i surely wouldnt work that hard ..

but we really need to start with an ID.. and idea what they are???

its important.. because some things.. you could drag out with a truck.. and replant them.. and other things.. its not worth the time and expense to move them.. if they will just die..

get a closeup of the leaves.. maybe we can ID it ...

but frankly.. my days of working that hard to move them.. is wildly offset by paying $20 for a duplicate.. and just killing these ...

yes.. we can move grandpa.. but is it worth it???

i wouldnt waste the effort .. they would probably die anyway ...

ken

• karyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, these are junk hedges - nothing fancy - it's going to be many months before we get around to this but will check back with closeup photos for an ID at that time to see about the easiest way to taking them out.

Thanks!

11 years ago

still need that ID.. but thru rejuvenation pruning.. you can tame them down to whatever you want ...

some things.. you could cut right to the ground.. and start over ... them regrowing about as fast as they can

that is always an option ... AFTER ID

ken

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

The fast/easy way is to loop a chain around the trunk and pull them out by the roots. You will need a power source. Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I strongly urge you to call "call before you dig" before you dig, or yank, as the case may be.

Just remember that the removal of that which is blocking the view out will also enable the view in. I wouldn't want them there either but would also lament the loss of privacy. If you also feel that way, an option might be to get a hedge, or just a few selectively-placed shrubs, started at a more appropriate distance from the house, planted to allow for the mature size of the plants without constant mangling. Then remove the house-huggers in a year or two when the new plants are bigger.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss these meatballs as junk. Not what usually gets planted around a nice golf course house. When they get to that point, shrubs often need to be sheared so often that they don't get a chance to bloom, if they are a type that would normally do so, and can look very strange, or just boring. Giving them a place to grow unhindered, or where they can least be allowed to bloom (if applicable) with only yearly trimming, could be worthwhile.

I'm intrigued by the dog hedge idea. How will you and the dog get in/out of there if the dog can't escape on his/her own?

An invisible fence system might be what is needed.

• karyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm intrigued by the dog hedge idea. How will you and the dog get in/out of there if the dog can't escape on his/her own?

The hedge would serve to conceal a 3-4' high fence camouflaged from plain view... it could even just be chicken wire in the branches and leaves. One side of the proposed boxed in area would be the house side - which has doorway access directly in and out of the area to the side yard - where it's intended to go.

As far as privacy or "rules" - many - in fact MOST lanais in our area are not encumbered by overgrown vegetation if any at all. No laws enforcing them. For privacy, the house is set well back and the lanai and adjacent patio area is massive - 2000+ square feet. Seeing through all of that and into the house is difficult at best. And then there's curtains and shades to truly block views.

The only reason these hedges exist is because the original owner liked to swim naked. A scary thought since he is really old. lol

11 years ago

well??? thats a pretty picture ... thanks a lot..

lol

ken

ps: i would still try renovation pruning.. after an ID ... just cut them to about 6 inches.. and 'see what happens' .. this year ...

you can always remove them next year.. but you are going to be hard pressed to regrow something fast.. should you find out.. you preferred some privacy.. though not that high ...

• karyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"well??? thats a pretty picture ... thanks a lot.."

I wrote - "it's going to be many months before we get around to this but will check back with closeup photos for an ID at that time"

It's not going to be until August til the escrow closes - due to a rental contract the owner cannot get out of.

Meanwhile we aren't going over there at all really until then. A few future neighbors have advised eliminating them entirely as well - bugs and other creepy crawlers are a big problem too apparently. Welcome to Florida. :-)

"you preferred some privacy"

No - I never said that - we do not want anything at all back there that close to the screens - or that tall.
    1. They are intruding into the screens and soon will be destroying them
    2. They block otherwise good views and the lanai is so big - privacy isn't an issue
    3. They are a breeding ground for all things undesirable

That being said - a WILL TRY to get close from the golf course side and take some photos someday sooner than August....when we are there playing, and I happen to have my camera too.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Ken said, "...should you find out.. you preferred some privacy".

I believe the point for your consideration if interested in having smaller plants there, is that the shrubs there now do not need to be that size.

The last thing said above his post is about a guy swimming naked. I'm sure that's the "pretty picture" to which he was referring.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

karyn - are old people intrinsically scary naked?

• karyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FWIW I think Ken's idea of "renovation pruning" is interesting... Purpleinopp - "smaller plants" - yes - that sounds good as well as another alternative.

As far as the naked guy - maybe that was the pretty picture - I don't know and am confused on what picture then perhaps?

Flora - any adult running around naked in public could be considered scary...not my cup of tea - but others may enjoy it - YMMV.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Speaking as an old person, I can tell you I look better under water, if naked. Al

11 years ago

thanks for that pretty picture al .... lol ...

yes.. i was making a joke about the old man ... [not you] .. forgive me for my lack of clarity ....

if it were me.. as soon as possible .... i would go after one plant.. on one end.. and simply cut it to about 3 to 6 inches.. and see what happens..

it wont die ... and we can gauge how it would react to such .. and see if there is any reason to save the rest ....

i never understood the golf course house.. one buys the house for the view.. and then complains they have no privacy ... i understand why the old guy did it.. i understand your alternative ... its a hard dichotomy ...

but whatever you decide .. i wish you luck ... both with your new house.. and this landscaping nightmare ....

ken

• karyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken - will give it a try!

This post was edited by karyn on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 11:06