Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus among us

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 10:10

Over the course of the last month I have started two flats and a few pots of Coleus plants as I prep for Spring. Random sprouts have wicked off near the soil level. The first flat of coleus I used a 'home brew' mix of 2 parts course sand to 1 part mushroom compost sprinkled with azomite powder. When these started to wick, I thought it was the mix, so my second flat was done with a store bought mix. But random sprouts in this flat started to wick as well. The wicking isn't from lack of light. I have a good set-up and move them outside in my lanai to get actual sun when weather permits. So I am assuming there is some sort of fungus that is attacking them.

While the sprouts are now starting to go change from green to their other colors, they have not yet formed their first true leaves, so I am hesitant about spraying them. Is there anything that can be done to halt the spread of the fungus? And is there anything that can be done in the future to help prevent the fungus from showing up in the first place?

Oh, and both flats were new and clean, so the fungus did not come from prior plantings. And interestingly enough, the ones started in 4" pots have been fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus among us

Are you saying you think what's happening is different from damping off? Maybe I've just not heard the term 'wicking' before and it's the same thing? This question would technically fit better on pest/disease or growing from seed forums, if you haven't already asked somewhere else & figured out the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here