Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get bulk plastic pots?

Posted by pointfinder 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 10:15

Hello, I'm a newbie so I hope this is the right place to post this. I am planning on selling some plants this year and need a good place to buy 6" plastic pots for my liners and divisions. I found B&T Supply online that sells them at $40 for 200, so thats about $200 for one thousand - which is how many I'd like to start with. Does this sound good or is there a better place to try. Thanks,

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get bulk plastic pots?

A M Leonard has some VCB15 which are 4 1/2" x 6" at 770 for $73.99 plus shipping http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=vcb15 If this will work for you it will be a little cheaper.

o

Thanks Mickey, that looks pretty good but isnt that made of the rigid plastic as oposed to the more flexible blow mold type? The rigid ones crack and break after a while.

o

These are what I'm using to pot up my liners. I don't plan on keeping them around that long.

o

sounds like you found a better deal,the ones i was going to tell you about are 6"x5.75" @ 440 for 108$ , thanks ill check out your sources. this was harris seeds

o

If either of you are into wholesale, there is BWI, a wholesale garden supply company.

You can google them.

Janie

o

I get most of my pots used either from local landscapers who are delighted to get anywhere from a dime to a quarter each for them, or from our recycling center. I've found perfectly good garden hoses for $3 each! Might check it out.

o

Some great ideas! Thanks all.

o

• Posted by jrod z7 NM (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 23:34

Used pots are great but I would highly recommend sterilizing the containers before using. I worked at a nursery and we lost thousands of dollars worth of plants because of diseases spread by using pots that were not sterilized.

o

Ok, so whats the best way to sterilize them? Could you dip em in a bucket of water and bleach?

o

• Posted by jrod z7 NM (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 16:12

Use a 10% solution of bleach (9 Parts Water - 1 Part Bleach).

Here is a good pdf of plant hygiene. http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/NurseryManuals/Research/Hygiene.pdf

o

Get free pots at cragislist.com from local people/landscapers ect. I have had great success especially during the spring and summer months.

o

They sell used pots on Ebay. I've been happy with the ones I've bought there.

o

If you look into buying pots on line, make sure you check out what shipping costs add to the price. Some of the big wholesalers seem to have good prices until you find out that they only ship FedEx or freight with a minimum charge - these can add significantly (25% or more) to your cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here