Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air Layering Hong Kong Orchid Tree

Posted by immobilus none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 10:56

Hello:

I've been trying to air layer my Hong Kong orchid tree for a few months. I scraped the bark off a limb that needs to come off and wrapped it with foil and mycorrhizae enriched soil. I haven't had it in plastic but put on plastic yesterday to see if it would help. My theory was the foil would keep the branch warm during winter nights.

Is it possible for trees to propagate by air layering while dormant or should I assume that nothing is going to happen until the tree comes out of dormancy? How long should air layering take before roots are established enough that you can remove the limb?

This is my first attempt at air layering.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air Layering Hong Kong Orchid Tree

It won't root while dormant. You need to be very patient for air layering. Here is an old thread on the subject of propagating Bauhinia blakeana.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bauhinia

o

Yea, I saw that. Hong Kong Orchid Trees don't produce seeds though. Only options are cuttings and air layering. i've heard that air layering is easier than propagating by cutting - but that both are extremely difficult.

o

I tried AL this tree but I did it in late spring. It rooted nicely in about 6-8 weeks. I lost it when I detached it from the mother plant, but this is a step that I haven't mastered yet. I hope this helps.

o

Then perhaps leave on for three months and this immediately pot, no fertilizer for the first six months except root stimulant? Curious, what did you do after removing the branch?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here