Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Pussy Willows

Posted by sfhill c PA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 11:02

I am from central Pennsylvania and am wondering if I were to clip branches off a pussy willow bush now and place them in water, would they root? If not now, when is the best time of year to do this. Also if I would buy pussy willow branches which are blooming in stores when they become available, would they root? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Pussy Willows

they should root now. if you buy them, cut them off a few inches up from the bottom.

o

from my own experience, I found that the older branches rooted better than young ones. I was never able to root branches from the florist, but the ones I picked from the wild always rooted. I put a piece of wet florist foam in a vase before arranging the branches (the foam helps to keep the branches oriented the right way) and you will usually see roots coming out of the foam in a about 2 weeks or less.

o

I have read that there is a hormone in the pussy willow, and willows in general, that helps other plants to root. The method has something to do with chopping up mew growth and putting it in the water of the cutting you wish to root.

Does anyone know about this?

I am rooting chrysanthemums and wonder how to do it. At first I am going to take the tender sprout of the mum, strip most of the leaves and put them in water. Into the water, I plan to add ground up pussy willow bark or stem, or what ever. I will post my results if anyone is interested.

If there is abetter way, let me know...
Em

If there

Here is a link that might be useful: My web site

o

* Posted by
Emerogork
(SA@Emerogork.org) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 20:16

I have read that there is a hormone in the pussy willow, and willows in general, that helps other plants to root. The method has something to do with chopping up mew growth and putting it in the water of the cutting you wish to root.

I have collected a few dozen links at 'willow water' links. The link to 'salicylic acid' down about Nov 13 is probably the most informative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here