Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Grocery store sweet potato....'Margarita Vine'?

gardenlady48
16 years ago

If I grow a sweet potatoe purchased from the grocery store, will I get a "Margarita Vine" or the chartruese colored vine??

Thanks

Comments (10)

• georgez5il
    16 years ago

NO!!!!!
    Its like asking will I get a sweet cherry if i plant a pie cherry seed there diferent species

• origami_master
    16 years ago

you will get a vine from the sweet potato from the grocers, but it might not be like the bright green or purple ones

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay!!! They say no question is a stupid question, but I guess that was :-(

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

No, it wasn't...The ornamental sweet potato vines do indeed produce edible sweet potatoes, but they are not very good for human consumption from what I've read. You will likely get a vine similar to what you would get if you planted sweet potatoes from seed potatoes. It would likely be a common green, but the plus side might be that it would be good eating if you didn't just store it for planting the next season.

Sue

• origami_master
    16 years ago

Of course it wasn't a stupid question! george, cherries in a cherry pie are cooked, the sweet potatoes are raw...see the difference? I've read that the ornamental sweet potato tubers are toxic, I've also read that they are extremely bitter, no I can't offer any advice on their edibility. The sweet potatoes from trhe grocery stores can grow really lush!

• Alan Parkman
    16 years ago

It will produce a pretty vine, some have purple vines. I say just do it and see what you get. What have you got to lose?

• sarahbarah27
    16 years ago

You have to be aware though that most sweet potatoes from the grocery store are treated with a anti rooting compound. I did a experiment like this at college, I had to get a potato from a natural food store, and it grew! I can't remember the color though:(

Sarah

• medontdo
    16 years ago

we like to experiment all the time, and don't mind george to much, LOL no question is stupid, its hard for SOME people to REMEMBER that we ALL arent as how do ya say it.......plant knowledgable as SOME!!! LOL i'm still learning, but the kiddo's and i LOVE, LOVE to experiment with stuff like that!!! LOL if ya do, please tell!!! :'))

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I usually keep a sweet potato vine growing in my kitchen window all the time.
    I use whatever sweet potato I have on hand ( either from the grocery store or a produce stand that I like) and stick tooth picks in the sides and then set the toothpicks on a jar or glass of water. It doesn't take long for the roots to form and you get lush green foliage, ( mine are usually dark green) with heart shaped leaves.
    I used to buy the ornamental sweetpotato vines for special spots, but the squirrels tend to eat them so I quit planting them.
    bottom line : try it ..you'll like it....
    Linda

• Colline Kelley
    7 years ago

GardenLady48, I also have been unpeeling the websites for the answer to the same question. I have yet to find what determines the color of the sweet potato vine. However, I have yet to find a comment section as dismissive as this one.

On ward searching to more educational websites with formative viewers.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA