Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watermanjeff

mylar film to help with heat retention

watermanjeff
10 years ago

Hi, I hope this isn't too off-topic. I had the idea of using the mylar which is inexpensive to buy in rolls to cover the propagation house (it is small) on those REALLY cold nights but it is too flimsy and tears too easily. My question is, has anyone tried adhering the mylar film to a tarp with adhesive spray and then using it as a blanket and would there be any advantage over the tarp alone?

Comments (2)

• Hire_an_Aggie
    10 years ago

I use cheap mylar emergency blankets inside around my propagation chamber and it retains the heat from the fluorescent lights so well it reaches 90+ degrees if I don't watch it. The room is in the 60's. So, mylar certainly helps. Covering the mylar to give a cushion between the atmosphere and the area you want to keep warm will surely help. I bet multiple layers of mylar would work as well. I don't deal with the weather and the wind, so I am not sure how this translates to your scenario, but I can attest that mylar certainly retains heat. Even the cheap see through emergency blanket from a first aid or survival kit.

• Hire_an_Aggie
    10 years ago

Had another thought...

Professors at TAMU have done research where having the greenhouse, or growing space, full of plants helps regulate temperature.

Also, space permitting, water works wonders. I know a farmer in Belville, TX that has a tunnel house made from single layer poly and they use 55 gallon metal drums full of water to keep things from freezing. The water releases heat in order to freeze. Sounds crazy, and won't keep you toasty, but might be the few degrees difference it takes to keep things from freezing.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio