Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjackson4_gw

Question about grafting on to a friut tree.

cjackson4
14 years ago

I hope I posted this question in the appropriate place, I did not find a section specifically for grafting fruit trees.

I am new to grafting and will be practicing this year, so I have a hypothetical question to ask so I can save some time if I am wrong.

Lets say I have done my research and planted the best varieties on the best rootstock for my area. So I have the best apple, pear, peach and plum varieties. I don't have a lot of room in my yard to plant more trees, but I would like other varieties. So I decide to graft scion wood on to my established trees to make new branches of the extra varieties I would like. Lets say that the varieties I pick are not ideal in my zone. Would this matter since the variety is not actually planted in the ground, but was grafted on to an established tree? Or will that branch of the certain variety not do well, even though it is grafted on to a tree that does do well in this zone?

I hope I did not confuse anyone, and if I did not use the right terminology then please clue me in.

Thanks for any and all help.

Craig

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting