Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfr1107

Fungicide in water for seedlings?

jfr1107
16 years ago

Greetings,

It seems like I am losing more seedlings to various fungal rots these days. Not sure if it is the fact that I moved to a new location and there may be more spores in the air here or what, but I would like to see if there is a way of controlling/eliminating these rots economically and environmentally friendly. (I don't think it is a cultural issue as I am not doing anything differently than before.)

One idea is to mix a very dilute amount of a fungicide I saw in a Lowe's store: active ingredient miclobicide (spelling?), in a Spectracide mix. It said it was a water soluble compound and I was thinking of mixing in a more dilute concentration and just watering it into the seedlings every week or so. Any thoughts on that?

Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

John R in ABQ, NM

Comments (5)

• acacius48
    16 years ago

John,
    I just moved from Albuquerque to Colorado. Nice to meet ya. I have a cheaper, safe and natural solution for you! I just tried this with my batch of seedlings. It worked wonderfully! Chamomile tea. Yep brewed Chamomile tea is a great fungicide! Just brew a cup, let it steep until water is cool again. Then dilute it in a spray bottle. Water seeds/seedlings with this solution until transplant or when you think they are out of the woods. I especially like watering with the spray bottle for tender seedlings and small seeds. I use a humidity dome over my seeds to germinate and in the past it seems to grow mold even with airing out. This time around none at all! Solution is good for a couple of days. It also helps with damping off.
    I hope this helps!
    Vanessa

• little_dani
    16 years ago

If you use a peat based soiless mix to germinate your seeds in, you are less likely to have this problem.

Peat really helps with damping off problems.

Janie

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

next year.. start by sterilizing your medium and everything else ... see link below ...

think of your procedure as a hospital operating room ... and sterilize everything in 10% bleach .. and heat the medium per the link ... and you will remove 99% of your problems.. before they occur ...

as they say .. prevention is worth a pound of cure ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

next time use a good seedstarting mix, use 1T/1 gallon water physan 20 and disinfect the flats, germination domes and if you're not using promix with biofungicide, water them in with a 1t physan/1 gallon water mix. For this time since you've already started, you can use 1 t/1 gallon water diluted physan 20 to mist your seedlings, or get some serenade at the local big box store, they sell it here at Lowe's and Walmart and use it. Don't mist them while the lights are on if you're using lights, or during bright sunshine.

• jfr1107
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. Especially the last one that answered my specific question. I will try that out. If you have any sources for that solution, let me know.

I do use sterile/soil-less starting medium and practice most, maybe all the cultural practices that were mentioned. (Of course, it does not hurt to review them again.)

I start mostly unusual perennials that may have a chance of surviving the crazy climate I live with here (in the ground). If any one here is interested in any seed trades for like material, please let me know, either here or by email.

Thanks Again.