Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nana8_gw

Red Head Coleus

nana8
11 years ago

I am trying to root Red Head Coleus. The plants are well establised now, but I think they are reverting to their parent plant. Do I need to check the PH and EC. They are under light and quite happy other than the color change (Which I am not happy about). I will probably pinch off the new growth and hope it is just a fluke. Any suggestions? They are for my own use and will not be sold.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

pH.. whats EC? ...

color is genetic ... i dont know what the pH would have to do with it ...

are they in water.. or rooted into media???

how long are your lights on.. and how far from the plant...

have you fertilized???

more facts please

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

EC is the common abbreviation for Electrical Conductivity. It would be easier for you to Google it than for me to try to explain it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search

• nana8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are rooted in cubes. They are about 4 inches from the light in a small greenhouse in the kitchen. They were all solid red when I started the cuttings in water, and as they developed more leaves the new growth is a different color. The lights are on for 16 hours per day. I fertilized with 200 ppm about 2 wqeeks ago, and again today. I guess I will buy a new PH meter to check that and the EC.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

congrats nana .... the whole light setup sound perfect ... cant really tell.. until i ask ...

is this the ONLY thing under the lights.. as again .. pH and EC cant be the issue if ONLY coleus is affected ...

cubes of WHAT??? straight peat??.. i used the peat pots ONCE!!! ... and failed wildly .... near impossible to succeed w/o some major greenhouse hardware ....

and peat is highly acidic ... so perhaps you are on the right track ...

but let me suggest.. next year.. stay away from such ...

ken

ps: thx brandon.. glad you didnt waste the time.. lol ..

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

* snicker @ Ken... "waste the time... lol" *

Nana, I would try giving at least some of these plants LESS light and see if it makes a difference. My redheads are in dappled sun for all but about 4 hours per day. Worth trying, if feasible.

• nana8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you one and all for your sugestions. I will try keeping the lights out for a longer period. They are the only cuttings I have taken so far, so nothing else in the greenhouse. . Some of the cuttings were planted in peat cubes and half were in Miracle Grow mix., and there is no difference, both have the changing colors. So I am inclined to believe it may be the light situation. But I will still pinch off the undesirable green coloring, and see what happens when they branch. Wish me luck.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Coleus can look wildly different depending on the amount of light. One can take the same Coleus and put pieces of it in different spots in the yard and it can look like completely different plants. When I google red head Coleus, I see solid red plants in full sun outside. Your lights may not have the strength, intensity, spectrum to cause the plants to show their full sun coloring. When you put them in the sun, the color will respond. Likewise, if you put some plants in shade, you'll have the 2-tone variegation.

• nana8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THAT IS IT................ Thanks for the explination. I have the parent plant on the sunporch and it is solid red. Also some cuttings I took earlier are there and solid red. I guess it is time to take these babies out to meet the big boys on the sunporch. THANK YOU AGAIN......

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County