Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
broke jade plant

Posted by bruts_mom zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 14:32

I have a big beautiful jade plant that got a couple of large limbs broke off of it. Is there a way to save these limbs to maybe start another plant? I have a pretty good knowledge of
plants and am willing to try whatever might work. Pleaseeeee
Help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: broke jade plant

Heck yeah you can start another plant! It's easier to start jade from stems than leaves anyway. I'm fairly sure you do it just like any other succulent..Let it sit for a bit to callus over then use rooting hormone and some people root in sand first..not letting it dry out completely. But I know someone will give you better specifics than that, I'm new to propagation :)
-Dani

o

We have so many Jade plants now - all came from one plant!

My brother, I don't think he even used a hormone, he just stuck a piece (sometimes just a leaf and other times a small branch) into a pot in potting soil. That was it and they rooted so fast. They are a pretty interesting plant in that respect. Being it a succulent it would probably be best to put a bag over the pot to keep the moisture in.
They are a darn easy plant to propagate - I'm sure you'll have no trouble.

o

Yeah, half the time if a piece of succulent falls off, it will root whether you want it to or not. I think the rooting hormone is more to make it root faster.

o

Stem segments, stems w/leaves, or leaves can be rooted with nothing more than a potting media and occasional water. Make sure to allow the "cut" end/s callus for 2-3 days and plant. Check on them every two wks. or so, watering then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here