Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lalot, chaplu, chaploo, bai cha plu, anyone?

Posted by merrybookwyrm 7/8 dfw (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 14:52

Has anyone propagated this plant, piper sarmentosum? I've had leaf cuttings in water for about 4 weeks. Two of the remaining four cuttings have put out itsy roots. I don't want to kill them at this stage!

How long should the roots be before moving them into potting soil? Should I put a dilute root stimulator solution in the water, or dilute fertilizer?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lalot, chaplu, chaploo, bai cha plu, anyone?

I am not experienced yet at transplanting from water to dirt but no one has responded. Most say to transplant when the roots are 1/2" long. I am putting the plant in the container, adding loose soil, pine bark based, and then flooding the container to create a potting soil soup. I drain it and it goes under a weak light and on a heating mat no dome. No more watering until the soil dries out enough. I would use a weak liquid fertilizer or plain water. Too much fertilizer can interfere with the plants ability to take up water. When it 'takes' you will have lots of time to juice it up. Good luck it's a fun plant.

o
RE: lalot, chaplu, chaploo, bai cha plu, anyone?

Thank you very much. For some reason, gardenweb didn't send the repy notification, but the roots are a litte over 1/2" long now. So getting ready to move the plantlets along!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here