Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coffee tree propagation?

Posted by tazdacat 2b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 15:00

I have a five year old coffee tree in my house and its not doing well, it only has leaves at the very top and is constantly loosing more every day. I was wondering if I where to take a cutting and start fresh, could this save my plant and is it doable with coffee plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coffee tree propagation?

You need to find out why the plant you have is dieing. Is it too wet or dry (not on the surface, but down in the rootball)? Does it have a pest or disease problem? What kind of light level are you growing it in? How about the soil? I bet with a little research and a post in the Tropicals Forum, you could diagnose the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropicals Forum

o

It needs much more sunlight than it gets, also I moved this winter bringing it with me (6 hours in my cold truck). I figure i can save it with a little more care, but if i take a cutting perhaps this will double my chances of saving it.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 10:24

Fresh, firm cuttings of about 1/4" diameter are usually taken in early summer. Rooting hormone and a greenhouse or moisture tent are helpful. A deep pot gives the taproot plenty of room to grow without damage.

Here are the recommendations of a website that came up on google (my addition is in parentheses):
Choose a stem that is 3/16 to 5/16 of an inch in diameter. Remove one of the two leaves on the stem. Cut the second leaf in half. Dip the end of the stem into rooting hormone for about 15 seconds. Put the cutting immediately into a small container with (very well draining) moist (not wet) growing medium. Cover with a polyethylene tent (or something to conserve moisture while allowing light in). Place in moderate shade. Gradually open and remove tent as plant roots and begins to grow. Repot into larger containers as necessary.

If you plant is doing poorly now, cuttings may not do well either. Doublecheck the moisture level of your rootball. It's likely that if your cutting would make it, your plant will also if given correct conditions. I'm not sure a cutting will double your chances, but I guess it might increase them a little.

o

thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here