Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree collards cuttings

Posted by Maxim1122 Israel (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 15:02

Hello!
I live in Israel and I do visit the USA once in a while. My next visit is in May, and I can't find tree collards anywhere in Israel. So I saw this website that sells tree collards cuttings, and I was wondering how long would the cuttings stay alive? I can order them on the last day and keep them in damp paper towels on the plane. Now the question is, will they stay alive for 10 hours of flight plus some more time until I get home and plant the cuttings? I want to know if it's worth spending 20$ on...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree collards cuttings

I don't think you'll have any problem keeping the cuttings alive on the flight. As long as they don't dry out, they should be fine. I wonder if you've considered the necessary PPIS permit though.

o

I think I won't have any problems with the PPIS. But is there anything special I should do to keep them alive longer other than keeping them between two damp paper towels?

o

No, the only thing you need to do is to place them between damp paper towels in a sealable plastic bag. They will stay alive for an extended period of time unless frozen or cooked by the heat.

o

Maxim, I have used the following method for years when transporting or shipping cuttings. I insert each cutting in a single white grape, then wrap each at the base with a wet paper towel then secure all in a plastic bag. Works well.

In your situation it would be best to check before hand to see if Customs will clear grapes coming into your country. Agricultural laws vary widely.

o

Thanks CharlieBoring.
nandina, what do you mean insert each cutting into a white grape?

o

Personally, I'd let the ends seal up (dry out a bit) to avoid rot. I'd want the cuttings to retain moisture, but would not want the ends moist.

With woody plants, it's not unusual for people to wrap cuttings in a moist paper towel (or other moist medium) while leaving the very ends exposed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here