Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm226

Please help with broccoli & cabbage seed starting problem! URGENT

bookworm226
14 years ago

Hello;

I have posted this question over lots of forums and no one has been able to help me! Over the past 2 days, the medium sized leaves of many of my broccoli and cabbage plants have a terrible problem. They wilt around the edges and then the wilted area dries up like dried herbs. This travels down the leaf and the whole leaf ends up dried up and then the problem starts on another leaf. If this isn't stopped, the entire plant will die. The stem is healthy, they are growing indoors under grow lights in temps of 55-67 degrees.

Last year I noticed that if I took these out to my greenhouse, many of the plants were saved and the problem stopped. But it is still too cold here to start up the heat in the greenhouse for another couple of weeks but I don't want to lose all of these plants. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I try to let the potting soil dry out between waterings.

The plants were perfectly healthy Friday, and by Saturday night, 2 plants had this wilting on 1 leaf on each plant. By today 10 plants have this! What can I do?????? I don't think it is damping off because the stem in healthy!

My grow lights are 6 inches above the tallest leaf so I don't think they could be burning the leaves. The top leaves aren't affected yet though, just the medium sized ones. These plants are about 3-4 inches tall with 2-4 true leaves.

I really hope someone can help me figure out what this is! I lose so many broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower plants to this every year! My tomatoes and peppers growing right beside these are totally unaffected! Please help! Thanks!

-Rachel

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH