Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheburashka_gw

Grafting apple branches to trunk

cheburashka
11 years ago

I have a red delicious apple tree that has always been rather spindly. It has good growth every year on the five existing major limbs and in the crown, but there are very few major branches along the trunk. I have a Fuji that grows well and I'll be pruning it back this year. Is there a way to graft the cut branches from the Fuji onto the red delicious along the trunk? If so, what's the best method and how do I seal the branches to ensure that they'll grow well?

Comments (2)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

You can bud-graft into the trunk or maybe even side-graft a small twig. You can notch above an existing bud to encourage bud growth, and graft to the resulting branch. You cannot just stick an entire branch into the trunk (if that's what you are proposing) and expect it to grow.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

its an apple tree.. it has dormant buds.. cut the top off.. and a hundred dormant buds will pop from below the cut ...

i really dont understand the root of the issue ...

if you want a production tree.. you have to obliterate its height.. and frankly.. make yourself one ugly backyard tree ... its a real quandry for most homeowners .. orchard trees are plain ugly ...

there is a fruit forum.. should you wish a diversity of opinion..

and a picture sure might help clarify the situation ...

i prune trees up.. for my safety.. the thought of grafting low.. to do the opposite.. really confuses me.. lol ..

ken

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH