Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kefo_gw

Iron in soil

kefo
15 years ago

Hello,

I'm not sure if I am in the right forum for this so I shall ask and my apologies if I need to place this elsewhere.

Currently I am doing a plant project in college and we are trying to stress the plants by adding in too much iron. I was just wondering what would be a good, easy to obtain iron additive that I can put in the soil. Right now I am growing bush beans and they have just sprouted and I have yet to test the pH of the soil. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• yiorges-z5il
    15 years ago

Ferrous sulfate would be the chemical of choice since its water soluable, & the ferrous ion is used by the plant. Would consider the pH of the soil in the experment since a acid pH is essential for the absorption of iron by a plant.

• georgez5il
    15 years ago

There is a forum "Botany" & they may be able to better answer your question.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Ask at the Botany Forum. You will need to consider pH and chelation. Both are rather complicated. They will want to know which plants your are using, how you are controlling the environment i.e. light, moisture, carbon dioxide etc. and what is your time frame.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

I had trouble growing Daphne until a friend who manages the plants at Luther Burbank Gardens gave me a hint. She suggests rusty nails in tne root zone, which solved my Daphne problem. Al