Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luke_oh

cuttings from blueberries

luke_oh
15 years ago

I have some great old blueberry bushes that I just pruned the other day. Is it possible to start plants from the branches that were pruned away? Best method? I'd appreciate any info that you may offer. Thanks

Comments (6)

• yiorges-z5il
    15 years ago

I have had best luck taking cuttings in May-June... use firm new growth apply 0,8% IBA Rooting hormone Stick in well drained soil & mist..takes 30-80 days to root.
    may try using the cuttings you have with 0.8% IBA & keep soil damp not wet. use bottom heat.

• joberry
    15 years ago

I just gave some blueberry cuttings and goji cuttings a try about a month ago. My method is pretty unorthodox, but it seems to be working. I didn't want to spent a lot of money and time on this the first time. I have 2, 1 gallon concrete buckets with handles. In those buckets, I stacked the cardboard toilet paper rolls straight up and down. I cut those in half and start seedlings in them, also. I got 13-14 of them in there. I filled those with my potting soil mix and moistened the soil and tubes. With my cuttings, I left them one inch longer than the toilet paper roll and cut the bottom at a 45 degree angle just below a bud. I carefully scraped the bark off about one inch up from the bottom. I then poked a pencil down to the bottom of the toilet paper roll, dunked the cutting in a rooting hormone and stuck it in the hole. I keep them moist. I can keep a cover on them. I have set them out in the sun. I keep them on a window ledge. Both containers are budding and looking much better than I imagined. I can't wait to see them in 4-6 weeks when I transplant them into a bigger pot. Good Luck!

• compass5b
    15 years ago

Joberry, I'm intrigued by your method! Are your cuttings still doing well?

• joberry
    15 years ago

Right now all of the cuttings, both the blueberry and the goji have leaves and look pretty good. I am not too sure how the rooting is going yet. I just hope that the cuttings aren't just coming out of dormancy and sprouting leaves. We will see. I put the buckets out on nice days or just on a window ledge. I put them on top of the warm ballast from the flourescent fixture at night to keep the bottom of bucket warm. I keep the soil moist. I hope this works....even if I get 50%, I would be happy!

• asita
    15 years ago

luke_oh

What fertilizer do you use for your blueberry bush?? I had bought my nephew a plant 2 years back and this is the first year it has flowered. The plant is in a container and the growth rate is slow. Any tips anyone can give me would be great :) !!!

Thanks,
    Asita :)

• Chris Forbes
    12 years ago

Fertilizer for acid-loving plants is good. Cotton seed meal seems to be a good organic fertilizer that works well for blueberries. I usually hit them with a little ammonium sulfate early in spring to get them going, and then give them a slow release like the cotton seed meal a couple months later. This has worked for me, but I hope that some pros will chime in with further information.

You might also want a second variety of blueberry that blossoms at the same time. Yields will increase with pollination between different varieties.

Good luck!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES