Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuttings from blueberries

Posted by luke_oh NE OH (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 17:30

I have some great old blueberry bushes that I just pruned the other day. Is it possible to start plants from the branches that were pruned away? Best method? I'd appreciate any info that you may offer. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cuttings from blueberries

I have had best luck taking cuttings in May-June... use firm new growth apply 0,8% IBA Rooting hormone Stick in well drained soil & mist..takes 30-80 days to root.
may try using the cuttings you have with 0.8% IBA & keep soil damp not wet. use bottom heat.

o

I just gave some blueberry cuttings and goji cuttings a try about a month ago. My method is pretty unorthodox, but it seems to be working. I didn't want to spent a lot of money and time on this the first time. I have 2, 1 gallon concrete buckets with handles. In those buckets, I stacked the cardboard toilet paper rolls straight up and down. I cut those in half and start seedlings in them, also. I got 13-14 of them in there. I filled those with my potting soil mix and moistened the soil and tubes. With my cuttings, I left them one inch longer than the toilet paper roll and cut the bottom at a 45 degree angle just below a bud. I carefully scraped the bark off about one inch up from the bottom. I then poked a pencil down to the bottom of the toilet paper roll, dunked the cutting in a rooting hormone and stuck it in the hole. I keep them moist. I can keep a cover on them. I have set them out in the sun. I keep them on a window ledge. Both containers are budding and looking much better than I imagined. I can't wait to see them in 4-6 weeks when I transplant them into a bigger pot. Good Luck!

o

Joberry, I'm intrigued by your method! Are your cuttings still doing well?

o

Right now all of the cuttings, both the blueberry and the goji have leaves and look pretty good. I am not too sure how the rooting is going yet. I just hope that the cuttings aren't just coming out of dormancy and sprouting leaves. We will see. I put the buckets out on nice days or just on a window ledge. I put them on top of the warm ballast from the flourescent fixture at night to keep the bottom of bucket warm. I keep the soil moist. I hope this works....even if I get 50%, I would be happy!

o

luke_oh

What fertilizer do you use for your blueberry bush?? I had bought my nephew a plant 2 years back and this is the first year it has flowered. The plant is in a container and the growth rate is slow. Any tips anyone can give me would be great :) !!!

Thanks,
Asita :)

o

Fertilizer for acid-loving plants is good. Cotton seed meal seems to be a good organic fertilizer that works well for blueberries. I usually hit them with a little ammonium sulfate early in spring to get them going, and then give them a slow release like the cotton seed meal a couple months later. This has worked for me, but I hope that some pros will chime in with further information.

You might also want a second variety of blueberry that blossoms at the same time. Yields will increase with pollination between different varieties.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here