Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hplantgreenthumb

Philodendron Cutting Question

HPlantgreenthumb
13 years ago

Hi!

I'm new to the forums here. I apologize in advance for the use of my non-technical terms!

I received a small philodendron cutting (it has heart shaped leaves that are mostly green but with some green and white variegation) from a friend about 3 years ago. It was only a single stem. It is now about 5-6 feet long and becoming difficult to manage (particularly if I need to transport it). My first question is if I make a cutting from this single stem, will the original stem continue to grow? (I don 't want to stop the growth of the original stem, if at all possible.)

My second question is can anyone refer me to a good pictorial explanation of how to make a cutting? I've never made one before and since I only have this single stemmed philodendron, I don't want to mess it up.

Finally- I've been thinking about making a cutting of my plant for awhile but I haven't gotten around to it. I recently took it to a friends house over the holidays so that she could watch it while I was gone for several weeks. Unfortunately, while it was there, it sat right next to the window. When I brought it home, several of the leaves were yellowing and falling off. I thought that this would change once it got back to it's normal home on a bookcase with indirect sun. However, new leaves continue to yellow.

My question is: Is this leaf yellowing issue due to too much sun or is it more likely to due possible irregular watering? And- in order to prevent further stressing the plant, should I wait to be sure this yellowing stops before making a cutting?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (2)