Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

A list of cuttings

LullabyF360
11 years ago

My mother wants a list of all plants that can be rooted from a cutting. Quite frankly, I believe she wants to know if she can steal off something from my garden. Through my research I have compiled this list:

Rose
Gardenia
Toad Lily
Bleeding Heart
Hydrangea
Hibiscus
Datura (not too sure on this one)
Passion Flower
Ivy
Cactus
Certain types of bamboo
Yucca

Most of these I have & do intend on propagating to fill out my garden. I have been told willow trees & other types of trees can be rooted from cuttings. I'm not sure how reliable it is to propagate trees from cuttings. Are there any more plants for me to add to this list? Any fruit producing ones perhaps (other than passion flower)?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

willow would be a lot easier than most on your list..

go buy mom.. michael dirr's compendium on propagation..

AND THEN BORROW IT FROM HER ... lol

anything is possible.... many you list.. the odds of success.. sans propagation chambers.. and serious chemicals is low to nil ...

ivy should be easy..

bleeding heart comes up from seed ...

rose is possible.. but not probable ... though i gave up long before the WWW

and some it would be much easier to lift the whole.. and slice off a division or two .... and throw momma back in the hole ... rooting would be the hard way to do it ...

and dont screw mom.. lol ..

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Wow, just too many to list.

I like the "The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture" (guess that was the one Ken meant) by Dirr idea, and the borrowing it back idea, at least for woody plants.

You mentioned Datura, and, like Brugmansia, they are very easy to propagate from cuttings.

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm glad to learn that Datura have cuttings taken from them. I'm currently growing some from seed, & it has not been a smooth journey. Another quick question for every body: there is a magnolia growing in our woods that has multiple suckers. Some have rooted themselves, the rest are just growing into saplings. I have dug up the one who have rooted & planted in my yard with success. Would it still root if I just cut one of the suckers that has not rooted. I believe it would work.

As far as my mother goes, she thinks she owns everything I own.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

it would be easier.. to scar it while still attached to mom.. add some rooting compound.. and place a big rock over it.. and then.. come back in fall.. when it roots.. and move it then ... let mom the plant do the work ....

there is a GW search function .. i swear this topic was covered in either annuals/perennial forum in the last few months ....

i gave her dirr's name.. she can google titles as easily as i can ... but brandon is right..

and i am sounding way crabbier than i mean to.. so forgive me.. its time to sign off the interweb...

just keep trying ...

ken

• donzuke12
    10 years ago

some cuttings need a growth inhibitor. For an organic one try honey and water mix. Also most trees and plants can be grown from cuttings. Pawpaw is a tough one though. It's easier to plant the actual seed. You need 2 trees for proper fruiting and you may have to pollinate yourself because bees don't like them. Unless you want to attract flies. The fruit is awesome though. They are native to most of the USA and cold hardy.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"some cuttings need a growth inhibitor."

???????????????

• scarzi
    10 years ago

For some of the list, root cuttings are the way to go. This works for bleeding heart, pawpaw, poppies and others.

I think two posts ago "rooting hormone" should be substituted for growth inhibitor.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure